Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Where can I get a comprehensive command reference?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there, I've had DBPro for about 2 years now and have made a few tinker toy things. Mostly because I can't get the information I need out of the help file. I have of course got the Hands On guides but the second one is incomplete concerning the commands I most want to know about. I mean, how would I know that theres more than one transparency mode when all the command refernce tells me is set it to 1? Then I come on the forums and see that there is 1-4 or maybe even up to 6. That of course is just 1 example. Any books? Links? I'm not looking for tutorials or guides, I really want a reference guide to commands that is completed.

Sorry to vent, probably been done 1000 times by others. Maybe I'm being an idiot and what I'm looking for is here somewhere already that I have not found.

Thanks for any help,
Rob
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 13:58
I think you join the many who have taken every command and played with it like the ghost object on command, what does each number do on the screen to the object, then its a case of remembering what did what, same for all the other commands, Like I spent some time working out how the cgs command worked, now you can see how it done by getting dark source.

I see you said you had got the books I found them great for learning how to lay out your code, with it printing to screen a flow of what function had be called.

It can take time to do this as I have had this basic about 6 years now and still not worked out how to do building landscape and people, might do it one week.

Of course you could learn how to hypertext and write your own help file meaning of the command that lacking in details to you.

Just don't forget to have fun when coding.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 16:58
I've never had an issue with the help files. Any specific questions I've had have either already been answered on the forum or are quickly so.

Landscapes and people shouldn't be created with code, you need supporting applications like Photoshop and Milkshape in order to do things like that.

Come see the WIP!
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 17:08
@Cash Curtis II

Ah! that where I've been going wrong, thought it was possible to do Landscapes and people in code, well you could say it is, but will take a very long time and not look so good.

So something like truespace for people and FPSC for landscapes and building might be a good place to start.

cheers.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 18:55
There are lots of ways to do things, some better than others. May I recommend the following tools:

Paint Shop Pro (though I understand Gimp is free and quite capable)
Milkshape 3D - Modeling, animation
Ultimate Unwrap 3D - UV mapping, and the best 3D format converter
3D World Studio - A fantastic CSG modeling app for buildings and levels

Milkshape, UU3D, and 3DWS aren't that expensive, easy to use, and perfect for DBP. With those you can create anything.

Come see the WIP!
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 22:04
What version of DBPro are you using? I say that because the help files have 'slightly' improved over the years and the help for commands such as SET OBJECT TRANSPARENCY do now at least show there are 6 levels and tries to explain them.

Quote: "
SET OBJECT TRANSPARENCY

This command will set the transparency state of the specified object. The transparent colour is determined by the SET IMAGE COLORKEY command or the alpha channel of the
texture. The transparency modes are used to control when and how the object is drawn into the scene, and are described below. Special consideration should be used with the
depth sort system, which takes the coordinate of the object and camera and depth sorts based on the distance between these points. You can inadvertantly create a situation
where a large object behind a small object would have a shorter distance, and be rendered last instead of first.

0 - draw first no alpha
1 - draw first with alpha masking
2 and 3 - draw second which overlaps solid geometry
4 - draw second alpha test (only render beyond 0x000000CF alpha values)
5 - water line object (seperates depth sort automatically)
6 - combination of 3 and 4 (second phase render with alpha blend AND alpha test, used for fading LOD leaves)
"

Admittedly the built in help files are pretty useless and we have been promised new ones for years but looks like they will never see the light of day. I suspect when Vista X10 version comes out they will have vastly improved help.

Boo!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 20:26:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 20:26:28