Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 3d studio max and dark basic pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

I have 3ds max 9 and 3ds max 2008. I've also got installed the latest upgrade for dark basic pro.

Is it possible to create models and animations using these versions of 3d studio max that can be utilized in dark basic programs?

I'm pretty new to this -- I've heard mention of a few plug-ins but I'm lost on this issue.

If you have an answer for me, please let me know which version of 3ds max is applicable.

Also, if it can't read max files - what is the best 3d modeling software that IS compatible with dark basic pro?

Thanks much!
Marc

mdholman69@yahoo.com
BlobVanDam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 21:04 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2008 21:05
There is no "best" 3D modelling package for DB Pro. It's a matter of personal preference, and cost. And of course if you've been using 3DS Max long enough to legitimately own 2 seperate versions, I doubt you'd want to use another modelling program you're unfamiliar with.

I use KW X-port
http://kwxport.sourceforge.net/
You can get it for either of those versions of 3DS Max. It works very well, especially for objects with bones/vertex weights. The only problem I've had with it is that the current version has a bug when you export with the Y Axis as up it occasionally messes up the normals. But you can get around that by exporting with that option off, then just rotate it and fix the object pivot in DB Pro.
Also I can't get it to export 2 UV channels even though the exporter has an option for it.

I also occasionally use the Panda exporter only if I need multiple UV channels (for light-mapping and multitexturing etc). But I've personally had problems getting skinned objects to work quite right with it, although other people seem to have no problem with it.
Choinkees
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2008 05:26
I've only used the Panda DirectX exporter but it is working well so far on the 2 character models I have tried it on (free rigged characters I downloaded on some site a couple of weeks ago).

Haven't tried KW X-port but I'll probably get it now that I know it exists.

I have only had a chance to play with DBPro for a couple of days, but I have successfully animated a character in 3DStudio and exported it as a .x file, loaded it into DBPro and have the character stand with a looping idle animation, and play a running animation when I move him around.

The only weird thing I've had so far is that when I load my guy into DBPro, he is facing down (like lieing down flat on his stomach and face) rather than standing up on his feet (he's upright in 3DStudio).. but that's easilly fixed with a Rotate Object command when I set him up.

games and stuff that I've made: www.rickyvuckovic.com
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2008 08:17
I've always used the Panda .X export plugin for 3dmax, but i've never heard of any other free exporters. I might have to check out that KW plugin.

CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2008 17:30
Quote: "Autodesk 3ds Max 2009
Create stunning 3D in less time with Autodesk® 3ds Max® 2009 software.
$3,495.00 "

So you spent almost $7,000 for each modelling software?

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
pirate
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2008 19:29 Edited at: 25th Aug 2008 19:31
i would recommend getting fragmotion...it cost $25... you could export your model to .3ds, open it in fragmotion and then export to .x or .dbo or one of the many formats that frag exports to...you can also edit your animations in frag...or model with it...fragmotion is an awesome program...you can get it at this link.....
http://www.fragmosoft.com/

hope this helps, pirate

thanks, pirate
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
He could be doing what I am doing and rent the license for 13 months for roughly $200. I have to do this for school, and it's much cheaper than buying it.

But I do smell blood as well.

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
-Computer Animation Major @Baker.edu-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 20:25:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 20:25:32