Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / TED and DB Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've posted some questions about ted and dark basic but noone has answered. I guess not everyone is into TED.

How can i load, and use a terrain made with TED in Dark Basic?
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2008 15:32
Well, I've just read the sales blurb on it and it says 'Using the supplied code (darkbasic and blitzbasic formats) you can reload everything from the suns angle to the script on a prop, (ie the key number required to open a door!)'.

So, I guess you use that code.

Or...

You could post a small example level, with the code you have so far, including this 'supplied code'.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 14:41
Ted looks awesome in the editor and looks like crap in DBPRO - OR you get it to look ok and you need TWO models of the same landscape to get the alphablending to "look" right with DBPRo limitations... Framerates tank.

I've made some decent scenes with it - but never WYSIWYG - due to the alpha thing - follow my link and look in the Iron Infantry Gallery - I think Gallery #1 is the one that has DBPro made images.

Also Ted last I knew had some issues where the shadow rendering worked in an older version but not the newer version -

TED - is decent - and is the BEST terrain editor I know of - but getting it to work right in DBPro - well - your luck may vary.

--Jason

app developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your answer.
Since i bought TED that i'm trying to make it work with DBPro. I've posted some questions here and definitly your answer is the best one, Jason.
Do you advise any other software to make terrains in order to work with DBPRO?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 14:07
Your welcome... and I was really "banking" on TED And it just wasn't going to work for me.

Other recommendations? Well - none I can personally vouch for. The guys around here made a few terrain editors... I like what 3DWS look like - but I thought the new "terrain" part of it was great for making a dirt driveway or grassy knole for a house - its nothing like TED in that dept.

TED MIGHT be one update from being really really good for DBPRO. For Blitz I think its probably "Bliss" ... DBPRO like I said is part of the problem.. its not all TED's fault.

Sorry I cant help more - this very issue had me developing a terrain/game level editor for a bit - been out of the "game thing" for a bit - been to busy.

--Jason

Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 22:55
Try L3DT (google search it)..comes free
you can model your heightmap in 3D (in heightmap edit mode), you can save a lightmapped high res supertexture, the heightmap in bmp or jpg format , a normal map .
takes some time to learn and you can't have blend layers, but with a good supertexture and a good detail texture you can obtain a good DBP advanced terrain
My 2 cents
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 23:03
a small example

Attachments

Login to view attachments
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2008 01:09
That looks great - and for the record - if you do super texture with TED you can get good results - but the resolution is limited. If you use TED for like a Small Area - then you can get high detail - but to do what Scorpyo showed above - its ... well - "one big texture" is always a limiting factor - but my grief with TED is things like the light map not rendering, or the DBO "solution" of "dual" landscapes to get something close to the what it looks like in editor.

I only spoke up because TED does do the Super textures decent - but I found to get results this way mean CHOWING video RAM and alpha blending is (USUALLY when not in DBPRO) mopre efficient.

app developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Can you give me a small example application of using terrains in DBP? with L3DT or TED? I mean (it may sound a stuppid question, but i'm rookie in DBP), when i build a terrain i must have something that tells me where the terrain is, in order to make the collision checking. write?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2008 15:03
I'm uploading a msg - but dunno if it'll make it... here is a link to a demo - not my favorite - but I cant find the other one - and I got to run to work:

ftp://jegas.com/archives/coderelated/dbpro/ted/Demo.zip

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2008 15:07
My time is uber strapped bro - sorry on that but the ted forum site has a couple dbpro threads... and I found this "demo" someone made and they are a user here too - I forget its been awhile - but it loaded a snowy scene with some leafless trees. The guy used "dbo" objects (this is done by first using direct x or something - then saving your dx objects to dbo and editting the TED "save file" to use DBO filenames and the DBPRO code parses the ted file and loads whatever the filesnames are. Its easier than it sounds.

Try to find that demo... Here is a "A" demo - not the one I used - but might be helpful - pretty sure this is ted related

Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2008 22:29
here is the example of the pic

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 20:24:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 20:24:44