Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / making .x terrain

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2008 23:22 Edited at: 29th Aug 2008 23:23
Hey newcomers! some of you have been asking the same question over and over again, "is there a program that can make object terrain so i can add buildings and objects to it in my 3d modeler?" and these questions have been met with answers like no, try using a level editor, and learn to program noob. well i happened to stumble upon a nice little terrain editor that saves it in .x so you can edit it in your favorite little 3d modeler!

the app can be downloaded here:
[href]http://www.ungsoft.com/vtm/index.html[/href]
if you have any questions just ask

What do you get when you combine the 2 coolest things ever? JESUSAURISREX!
Random color object
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2008 06:04
I checked the website and there is no forum to it. I try today DELED and it is powerfull to build a world, it can import .3ds and convert it to .x then can be loaded into DBP. give it a try and people in the forum are really helpfull. There is also video tutorials that help the learning curve.
http://www.delgine.com/

My actual color is Color object 1, RGB(128,2,3) but I would like it to be random.
Jesusaurisrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2008 07:14
um, its just a simple terrain application, it is not a 3d modeler. realy there is not much to understand so there is no need for a forum. deled is nice but i think newcomers with little or no modeling experience would find this simple and easy to use.

have fun

What do you get when you combine the 2 coolest things ever? JESUSAURISREX!
calcyman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 10:38
And then you can add collision to it using the sliding collision developed by Kensupen and Lodikecat.

The optomist's right, The pessimist's right.
Jesusaurisrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2008 03:32
yep. or just use sparky

if you call me an idiot/retard again, ill stick my finger in your mouth, and i have a really dirty finger, you don't want it in there!
paint color
Years of Service
User Offline
i downloaded this before i even read this post and i must say it is awsome, me being new to this stuff i liked how easy it was. but i dont know what command i use to load it into dbpro as a world. any help here?
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2008 09:19
Probably load object "terrain.x", landscapeObject.
(After you've exported it to the X file format, that is).

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"
Jesusaurisrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2008 03:26
exactly

oh and i almost forgot. it must be saved in .x format to work in your games. remember it is a simple program and if you forget the .x in the file name it will be labeled as an unknown file.
and another thing, the object is centered on the bottom right hand corner, so you will appear on the edge of the map, not the middle.
the only downside of this application is that there is no undo button, so if you make a mistake its hard to eliminate it. other than that its the easiest modeler ive ever used

if you call me an idiot/retard again, ill stick my finger in your mouth, and i have a really dirty finger, you don't want it in there!
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2008 21:01
You know, if it doesn't save the extension, you can just renamed it and thus add the extention yourself. That works just fine, so it isn't "all lost" in case you forgot to give it an extension in the save dialog (if that's what you meant, I'm not sure)

@Jesusauriusrex: How big landscapes can it handle and with how big textures which repeat how many times?
The reason I'm asking is because I'm making my own level editor, in which the landscape works just fine up to about 75x75 tiles with 256x256px textures, but then it gets rather slow. It would be nice if I could trim it up to handle terrains of around 150x150 segments or so, so that I could create vast fields with it as well.

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"
Jesusaurisrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 00:56 Edited at: 21st Sep 2008 01:10
never really tried it that high, hold on ill find out

it actualy runs at a limit of 180x180 perfectly, you just need to give it a munit to load (a first i was freaking out cause it was at like 3 fps, then it jumped back to 60 lol) so just give it time to load and you can build huge high poly maps as far as textures go, they look bad after 100x100. it has no effect on the apps speed at all, but it looks terrible. if your modleing a high poly map (more than 100x100) i would recommend adding the texture later.

Zack V11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2008 14:12
Hi i downloaded this but when i create a map and saved it i can not find it in my midia file on dbp any help here would be great
Thanks all
Jesusaurisrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2008 08:28
you should save it in a folder you can find it in easy, like create a "my 3d models" folder and save it in there. than just import it into your folder.

Zack V11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2008 13:18 Edited at: 13th Oct 2008 14:43
Thats great thanks for the help

Hi when i loaded it all i am getting on screen is a blank blue screen any help would be great thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 20:20:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 20:20:58