Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 'Skinning' or: re-texturing someone elses model

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2003 16:28
Take a model. For example 'F1 Car' that comes with DarkMATTER it renders in a nice yellow/black with DarkMATTER written down the side of it.

Now supposing I wanted to change the texture so that it looked like a Jordan F1 car (for example), then with a good art package and a lot of patience I could change the bitap that comes with the model and that's what I get - a model of an F1 car that looks like a Jordan.

Now suppose that I wanted another car that looked like a Ferrari F1 car I could do exactly the same as above and it would work but I would lose my Jordan.

If I wanted to keep them both and use them in the same program (and I do) then I thought I could change the filenames of the model and the bitmap. It sounds like it should work but it doesn't. ragardless of the filename of the model it always loads the original bitmap for texturing.

So onto my question (at last!) How do I get a model to look at a different bitmap for texturing?
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2003 19:24
Load the different texture images in db and texture the model at runtime.

Once I was but the learner,
now, I am the Master.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2003 20:37
So easy, so obvious, so ... why didn't I think of it?
Thank you for helping me and thank you for giving such a concise answer to such a long winded question

Nine lives to choose from and I get stuck with this one!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 15:55:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 15:55:37