Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Testimony of a beginner.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 20:35 Edited at: 4th Oct 2008 17:22
I start knowing nothing 3 weeks ago. Full time learning, doing TDK tutorials , painfull. But I persevere, I installed the trial, then synergy editor (it work better than the dark basic editor), I try 2 other and went back to synergy. Then I went through the tutorial, and found something about Texture, terrain. It was really hard. At the end of the tutorial I read someone saying: great tutorial but no one use that anymore. I was I try some map editor, it was not working. Then I start reading post, and find out people where using a world editor: it can help you create map of a dungeon, houses, and got some object like chairs table. 3D world editor I try, then I found a free one called Deled http://www.delgine.com/. Then I found that Dark basic pro can load those maps dongeon (everything from a world editor) with a easy command load object. Then I said: hum I need a character, so I learn that 3D modeler software can create that, even animated one. I found anim8or a easy to learn software. Also I subscrive to the forum of Anim8or and deled to ask questions. I made a cereal bowl with anim8or. Then I suceed to send it into my world editor Deled. Then I suceed to load a demo map into DBP (dark basic pro) witht that command load object. I found some commands to move into the map. Just visiting. I found that command usefull to do it control camera using arrowkeys 0, 20, 8
I made a nice visit. There was no one, I didn't created ennemy yet, good thing, cause I din't have a weapon eather. I start to walk around and I was like a ghost passing through walls. Then I decide to do something about it. I found in forum that many people where having problems. I went to see the TDK tutorial, WOW, it was nto easy. Then I read that someone created a way to do it with sparky (FREE). I try a whole day to make it work, it din't. Then I said ok maybe I can pay for that if it is so hard. Then I found nuclear glory collision. I decide to buy it. spend 2 day's to install it, the demo was working but not on my own codes. I was discouraged. Surfind the forum again, found someone talking about collisions with Dark Physics, I watched the demo earlier I din't realise it could do what I was looking for the first time I watched the demo. But I decide to give it a try. I also watched the demo of the Dark AI to have intelligence in ennemy's. Then I dound the 180$ package a good deal. I am reading right now about dark Physics I am amazed. It was my story. I still have alot to learn but I am happy of my discovery's.

When it is too complicated it is because you are not trying the right door.

Edit: October 4th, still learning. I get through Dark Physics tutorial, I have learn alot there. Now I am working on a game. But I will need some object, so I start learning BLENDER. It is a 3D object maker, it is free [href=null]blender.org[/href]. It is really popular and there is alot of video tutorials, like this serie. http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?p=r&user=super3boy&page=2 In 2 day's of training I already make things that satisfy me. There is things that I will be able to do that would take years to do with Dark Basic, I just need to import them in DBP. I imagine that after working for 1 month on Blender I will know alot more. I will show you my project evolution. I am making a pinball game, so far with DeleD (free) I made a basic table, a ball, and with dark physic I place gravity t the ball and with some angle on the table the ball fall down. There is also collision from the ball with the table so it it not a ghost table. Now I am working on blender to create the flippers.

-Win XP SP3 -P4 3go/Ge Force 9600 GT driver 178.13
PhysX 08.09.04
DBP + Dark A.I. + Dark Physics + Easy Rotate + enhancement + Sprite Packe
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 13:23
Good to see that your efforts are paying off. Many people give up too quickly. There is a point at which you suddenly realise that it's not as hard as it looks - you are just about there

Nano brain
Years of Service
User Offline
Congrats you! Keep up the work, and maybe one day you'll be the designer and creator of an awesome game. We've all come through the trials of our first learnings of a language. But as BatVink said, you're just about there.
Garion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 00:42
I tried DBP long ago, and gave up... But my game-making-dreams never stopped haunting me, so I tried second time, and failed again.

Lately I came back to DBP for the third time and I finally menaged to do something that WORKS Ahhh the satisfaction is priceless.
Nano brain
Years of Service
User Offline
Try, try again...
Charlie
Years of Service
User Offline
I congratulate your efforts. I am amazed at your discipline and constancy, and let me tell your that if your keep up like that and just have a little piece of faith, I assure you will be not only a great programmer, but also a very known genius. You have a great potential my friend. Never discourage, and you will get pretty far.
I just wanted to congratulate you and also to thank you, for your testimonial inspired me. I too began with DarkBasic after using GameMaker at 12 years old, and although i didn't understood, I just keep working and managed to create a small demo of a player that jumped in an infinite terrain of "mountains". But I stopped a bit because of school and work, and also I discouraged a lot for being mental retarded. I didn't continued working for my low abilities, and although I had my ideas, putting them to work was quite difficult. But after reading your story, I asked myself: "If you could, why then I can't?". So I am here, beginning to retake my proyects, and you will sure see me soon in a month when I have more development.
Thank you for your story, you have once again revived my emotion to work on this. And for all the members, I also call you, to never give up. And even if you have stopped for a while, it is never to late to start again. Even if you have a mental problem, I assure your that like me you can continue. Thank you again for your testimonial, if even more people were like you, we will sure promise a better future for humanity. NEVER GIVE UP BOYS AND GIRLS, THE FUTURE IS YOURS!

Have a nice day
Random color object
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 14:40 Edited at: 8th Sep 2008 20:21
Oh continue Charlie we all can do something we are pround of. Also English is not my 1st language. Sometime when I have text to read and I am tired I sent it in Text aloud, he read it for me. So I can get through alot of tutorials way faster and keep concentration.

Today I found out with Dark basic how to do esay collision with dark physics. DBP + Dark are availlable for 50$ it is less than DBP itselve. I encourrage people that have problems with collisions (walthrough walls) to get Dark Physics, the tutorial is easy to follow.

When it is too complicated it is because you are trying at the wrong door.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 20:27:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 20:27:24