Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Yes another newbie!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to the site (been searching around mostly seeing what's what and such). And a seriously newbie to programming. Having looked around for "where to start", it seems Pong is the number one most popular new darkbasic program to start with. I'm all cool with that. I'm looking for as many pong tuts i can find. Okay so now the reason i'm posting. I, like everyone who comes to Darkbasic, want to make a game. (not just another pong, eh) So is it realistic to start with pong and start adding things to it to make it a stand out game. (like weird characters to chose from, instead of paddles add in bizzaire items *like a human arm, a cooking wooden spoon*, and add in some story line. And I know I don't need to do all this at the beginning, i'm starting with just pong, and want to add things to it. Just asking all the vets if its a realistic vision, or am I still aiming too high? Thanks for all information and such. (I love the site and love seeing all the wips around, simply amazing!)

"Tastes like Halloween"
HWT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2008 02:28 Edited at: 5th Sep 2008 02:31
I'm not as much a vet as the others on this forum but in my opinion, if you are *completely* new to programming first learn the concepts of programming (e.g variables, conditional programming etc...). Then, learn from simple games (like Pong) and then add your own modifications. You're spot-on with the latter. Then just keep advancing to tougher games.

The tutorials that come with DBP are excellent in this regard as are some others like TDK tutorials. And this forum is full of people to help you out if you get stuck.

Something else I must add - learning to be a game maker is the very definition of baby-steps. You'll constantly be learning something new - whether it's programming related or whether you realise why a 3D modeller and level editor are so useful.

I'd wish you good luck but you don't need it - just hard work and *alot* of patience.

HWT

Hello world tommorrow
Jesusaurisrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2008 08:25
naw, i hated all that hello world crap. i got as far as a 20 line text adventure before i decided to do a tutorial. it was a breakout game in teh news letter, ill look for it. realy it is the same concept as pong. all i can say is you HAVE TO FOLLOW IT STEP BY STEP. if you ever skip anything in a tutorial you already failed. even checking what it will look like in the end is a big no no. im not kidding disable your copy paste function for a bit and type everything out, you learn better that way.

What do you get when you combine the 2 coolest things ever? JESUSAURISREX!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 20:25:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 20:25:36