Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Platformer Engine - Demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 20:05
Hello you guys. On my journey into creating my own game I've come to a lot of walls/dead ends. I decided to divide everything up into 3 parts. The first is just get pass the technical part just getting everything to work. I've had a large challenge with programming, movement, collision, animation, and so on. Each part had issues, even more so combining all those pieces into one to make agame/engine.

So instead of making a game I'll just make a basic generic watered engine/demo. Once I learn how to make the engine I can just replace the shell or build something else. So I don't have to worry about graphics, storyline, gameplay, or game design.

This week marks the beginning of this first part. My demo isn't finished but I can say I pretty much there. The player is just a dude made of boxes no limbs, Rayman like, and moves around the environment. Animation is ok but not fancy, I was only trying to get a grasp of what I needed to do.

I created a sandbox. This preview provided is not a level nor was it designed. I just needed a place to run around and jump. After I add/fix a few animation stuff, and then I will build/design a real working platform level. Then part 1 will end. Part 2 will be creating a real game, character & level design, fully textured in all and music. Part 3 will be just the same as Part 2 except but more serious and strict.

Controls:
SPACE = JUMP
ARROW KEYS = MOVE

enjoy.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 04:52
This is quite nice! The movement is very smooth, well done

The animation would be that much more excellent if it looped correctly, at the moment there is a bit of a jerk, I'll assume that's the thing you mentioned fixing.

Other than that it is made of win ^^. I'll look forward to seeing future updates

Kenn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 05:07
Thank you so much. I plan to fix the animation and build a level. Then onto some serious stuff. I'm a graphic designer so I hope I can bring my artistic skills to the project.
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 22:13
Works well! Like Phosphoer said, the animation is a little glitchy. Also the level with it's lighting and flat texture makes it kind of difficult to judge distance and form, but that's not really important- your platform game engine basically works. Good luck putting in all the bells and whistles.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 00:52
Very cool! Like Phosphoer said very smooth movement! The jumping and collision work very well. Now just finish up the engine and you can start the fun part: designing the game!

90% of statistics are completely inaccurate.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:23:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:23:46