Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Is DB pro for me?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 15:19
Hello every one, hope you are all well.

I have had a look at this site after a recommendation and must admit the DBPro does sound quiet good. I like it that it appears that a total beginer can pick this up and start making a game but you can also do more advance stuff via the coding, unless I have miss interoperated this!

Now I have basic knowledge in programming, some VB and some C/C++ but only very basic stuff. I am eager to learn.

I want to create a 2d/isometric game that looks along the lines of Legend Of Mir or Diablo 2 or simular ( first screen shot is not legend of mir but a rip of it) , if you have not heard of this game here are some links to what the game looks like

http://www.online-station.net/_news/..._Online_02.jpg

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/3808/images42rb2.jpg

http://picnic.ciao.com/uk/2524741.jpg

That is the sort of game I am looking to try and create, the same sort of graphics. Also another important thing for me, I want to create the game like a "chess" board, by this I mean if I am in a singular square, I want to only be able to move to one of 8 squares around me.

Is this possible with this software?

Say from scratch... What do I actually need apart from DBPro? As ideally I want to create my own graphics and not use stuff.

Also I want to make it a MMORPG, is this also possible with the software? What about royaltys I must admit I could not find something on royaltys if a game gets published although today I am having a stupid day.

Sorry if some of these questions have been asked/answered.

Regards,
Thor.
calcyman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 22:39
I think DBPro is more than sufficient for your needs:

1) You can easily make a 2d/isometric game, especially with IanM's Matrix1Map plugin.

2) The graphics can easily be handled in DBPro, see above.

3) Your chessboard is very simple logic, DBPro could do things much more complex.

4) Yes, it's all possible.

5) You need a graphics program, like Paint or Photoshop.

6) Don't let anyone dissuade you from making a MMORPG. First develop a 1-player game and complete that side of things. Then gradually improve the game logic and networking. Don't rush into something without sufficient experience.

7) All games created are royalty-free.

The optomist's right, The pessimist's right.
2dope
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 00:03
Brilliant mate thanks for the help. I was looking at the bulk packages on the site and notice there is one for like £150 I think it was, is it worth getting that? Or just get the DBPro? Also you said paint or photoshop, I have both but how do you go from have the graphics in there to in game? So I have a char which would move in 1 of 8 different directions, do I need to animate all 8 directions and say I have 100 different weapons would I need to animate the chars using all the ?

If there is a FAQ about this kind of things I do apologize and you have been brilliant mate thanks for replying
Quantum Fusion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 00:03 Edited at: 14th Sep 2008 00:05
I can tell you DBPro is great. I came in knowing absolutely nothing of programming (except some of the old QBasic/Dos we had to do in high school which was basically nothing).

You'll pick up on it pretty quick, if you put in the time to do some reading and playing around with code examples (to see what can and cant be done).

Now there are a few things that you wont be able to do, as say compared to using purely C++, but I think DBPro is a perfect mix between ease of use/learning curve, time to make a program and what you can do with it. For absolute beginners, I would say its probably the best thing you'll find, because you wont get frustrated so easily and you also wont give up so easily.

I think its also a good stepping stone to other programming languages (if and when you decide to go onto them) because you'll see how programs are structured and what really goes on.

As for the types and quality of games/programs you can make. From what I've deduced .... it all depends on how much time and effort you put into it. If you put in the time/effort and seriously try to make a game appear as you want it to, then it will happen. The only thing truly holding you back is you! But it also helps if you try and be clever and try to find tricks away around things that "cant be done".

When I bought DBPro, I bought the bulk packages. Its worth it if you are serious about it.

If you do buy it then this forum is a great resource to learning how to do things, and to get help when you get stuck.

There are tutorials in DBpro itself that include code examples, and code showcases, there are also plenty of tutorials on the forum like ....

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99497&b=10

Dual-Core Pentium D @ 3.00GHz, 1.0 GB nVidia GeForce 8500 GT, 20" Wide screen LCD @ 10,000:1 Contrast, 4.0 GB DDR2 SDRAM, Triple-boot: 32-bit Windows XP MCE, 64-bit Vista, 64-bit Linux Ubuntu
calcyman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 10:19
So I have a char which would move in 1 of 8 different directions, do I need to animate all 8 directions and say I have 100 different weapons would I need to animate the chars using all the ?

You could use a sprite for each of the weapons, a sprite for each of the characters, and you can overlay them.

You probably will need 8 different images for each character, but if they're symmetrical you only need 5.

It's possible to make impressive DBPro games without using plugins. You ought to search the forum for Starscape, that's got some of the best graphics I've ever seen in DBPro! Applications are also easy to make. Try searching for Sasuke's amazing level editor, or my HyperFractals program.

The optomist's right, The pessimist's right.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 20:26:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 20:26:02