Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Making levels in a 3d program

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

I just started the whole darkBASIC program a couple days ago through the trial version, and I have a few questions. I really don’t understand much as of now. So far all I have really done is made a shape walk along a matrix in third person, and loaded a few houses and such that I made in a 3d program. I think I understand how this can turn into a level, but it seems like loading all these separate pieces onto a matrix I am having trouble customizing might be a little difficult (not that I didn’t expect this to be : ) )

The main thing that I am wondering is that if it is possible to make an entire level (the ground, the houses, trees etc.) in a 3d program and load it into the game as one big object and us it as the level. Is there any way of accomplishing this? Or is there any other methods to level design? Because I only have the demo version of darkBASICpro I do not have the learning manual, and I am having trouble finding tutorials to learn from. Any information about level design you guys can give me would be a lot of help!
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2003 03:48
Go here: http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=13351&b=7
for info

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
voidix
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the link,

I was looking at all the resources and came across the BSP map editing software. I have used WorldCraft (I think its called valve hammer editor now) in the past to make maps for Counter-strike and other similar games. I took a look at the other various BSP sites and they all mention that they work great for pre-made games like Quake, Half-Life etc, but can they be used with DB when making your own game? How do you include it in your game? Any help would be great!

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2003 04:31
Don't know, i have dbc...

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
voidix
Years of Service
User Offline
im sorry, but whats DBC?

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2003 04:49
dbc stands for "dark basic classic"

Check out the forums search, and the 3D section.There's a topic called "ultimate bsp thread" that may help you.

o

welcome to the forums voidix

Yellow:Wanna publish my game microsoft, cuz i no u rich so...Can I have my bag of money now?
Microsoft: *snicker* Tip of the month-Microsoft will never(probebly) publish your game.
voidix
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks yellow, I will check out the thread

voidix
Years of Service
User Offline
The BSP thread helped me a good deal. I understand how to make the maps, but can anyone point me to a tutorial (or just tell me) that will show me how to implement a BSP map into my game? Thanks

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2003 09:21
There is a fps tutorial in the dbpro help that uses a bsp level.
Click on tutorials in the main menu of the help.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2003 12:48 Edited at: 21st Jul 2003 12:50
you won't be able to use bsp maps if you are using dark basic classic only in dark basic pro.
if you are using classic there are a number of matrix editors available that will alow you to make better matrices that can loom quite nice
http://www.matedit.com
is the prefered one i think

You know whats weird???
Donald duck never wore pants, yet everything time he got out of the shower he put a towel around his waist...
Whats with that???

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 15:41:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 15:41:51