Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Space Wars

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2008 12:44 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2008 16:48
Hi,
I'm working on a little 2D game for about a month.
This is just a birthday present for my brother.
I post it here to find final bugs and get some feedback

The general idea was to create a game my brother loved to play years ago but we don't remember either the name or where we found this game.
It is like asteroids, but instead of asteroids you fight each other

In my version there is one primary weapon a some secoundary weapons like plasma beams, homing missiles and mines.
I also added a survival mode where you have to stay alive and fight growing waves of enemies. By shooting enemies you gain credits. After each wave you can build defence turrets (plasma and missiles) and repair your turrets and ships. At the end there is a boss. I aimed to have 2 stages with 2 bosses in the end, maybe more.
Graphics are made by me (paint^^) and some of them are from a little spaceshooter I made as a team project at school, so these are from my schoolmate.

Especially the main menue is done in paint, so I would love to see someone do some better graphics at this point if he likes the game

Some screenshots so far:

You can download the latest version here:
http://home.arcor.de/dbxynm/Space%20Wars.rar

Controls can be adjusted manually but there are a few which you can't change. This includes:
left mouse button - build up plasma turret or repair turrets and ships (by clicking on them)
right mouse button - build up missile turret

Comments are appreciated as always

EDIT: Just updated with a new ship image I found on the internet and fixed a bug while returning to the main menue

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
The screenshots look great, i love the blur trails

Downloading demo now, i'll edit to tell you what i think of it.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2008 22:07
This is really fun! Nice work! The graphics are simple but quite well done, I like the blur trails too.

Everything feels really smooth and polished. I thought it was funny that after both players die you don't lose until all your turrets are dead, I actually lasted one more wave because of that.

I noticed a bug in the first bosses's AI. There was just him and one of my missile turrets left, the boss would shoot twice at the turret, then turn around and shoot at the top left corner, then turn around again and so on. He took quite a lot of damage because he took so long to kill the turret :p

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Solid idea, but the game was a little buggy. For me, both players died before their health bars reached zero, and while the boss was destroying my last turrets, the health bars randomly refilled.

Once a ship starts moving, is it impossible for the player to stop?

DBer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much for the comments.

@Phosphoer:
This isn't really a bug, more a part of the AI If an enemy gets too close to his target, he just change his actual target. This avoids him from colliding with other ships and getting stuck in the targets

Quote: "
For me, both players died before their health bars reached zero, and while the boss was destroying my last turrets, the health bars randomly refilled.
"

I never came over this but I'll take a look on it.

Quote: "
Once a ship starts moving, is it impossible for the player to stop?
"

Yes that's right. Maybe I'll build in some sort of braking, I'll see.

DBer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2008 16:29 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2008 17:50
I just did myself a new menue with some nice graphics

The planets are from google images, I hope it's allowed to show these screenshots here ...

@Jimpo:
Also fixed the bug that caused these strange healthbar errors

All in all I surely updated the old link, so you can download there the slitely changed game

EDIT:
Just added new graphics to the boss and added a new type of enemy which in general acts like a "mine layer".
I got them from the spaceships-request-thread and they're made by Virtual Nomad so thank you very much!

I Think I leave the game at this, mostly because my brother's birthday is on tomorrow.
Maybe I'll put more work into this with new gamemodes and levels when I have time.
Download link updated as always

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 17:20
Cool game. I played "survival mode", on account of not having another human available. First go i died and it became more like tower defence, which was fun too. Some more, harder levels might be cool. It sucked a bit that if you collected a special weapon that you weren't already equipped with, you'd lose the ammo you'd collected. I like the graphics, although the penultimate and final bosses could do with a makeover. An ending screen would be cool too- instead of endless empty waves.

Overall a pretty sweet and enjoyable game though. Works solidly and fast. I didn't see any bugs.

I expect your brother will be well chuffed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:21:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:21:07