Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / New, need to know some things

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I know my title is vague, and yes I'm new here, but some questions come to mind...

My friend got me a copy of 3D Studio Max 8, which is really easy for me to use, even though I'm not too good at it. I found Blender which can import certain models and export as .X. Which modeling program is recommended for terrain, and which for making characters, objects, etc.

I have DeleD though haven't tried it yet. 3D Studio Max 8, can use it ok-ish..also have Maplet, made for another game, but it's 'good' for indoor things like dungeons..meh, not as good as others..

My game is basically gonna be a "Earth is gone, space stations, ships, colonize a planet, build armors and fleets, conquer galaxy." Kinda like Masters of Orion 2, but 3D, interactive on a better basis..

Anyone think they can answer some questions? =o
calcyman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2008 08:48
For terrain I would recommend you use the Advanced Terrain plugin that comes with the recent versions of DBPro. For making anything else, you could either use a 3D modeller or a CAD package.

Good luck,
Calcyman

The optomist's right, The pessimist's right.
Panzer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, thanks for the help

Any other options besides the plugin? I only have one copy, really don't have the money to buy more copies, but there's more than one of us working on the terrain(he decided to join in, and I don't wanna break any rules )...

an idea: i write a program using Dark Basic to model the ground..that's advanced..I really just need it to calculate the verts, draw a square based upon it, then allow it to rise or lower that verts..and highlight them..that'd fix my problem here, right? then i'd also need it to save in .X format, which I'm clueless on..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 20:26:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 20:26:46