Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Code Snippets / Pixel * Pixel Tile Engine and Network Chat Lobby Examples

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2003 18:53
ok heres a couple of examples for y'all, one is my tile engine the other is my multiplayer command test (which is a chat lobby)

heres the links:

Pixel * Pixel Tile Engine : http://www.geocities.com/shwuckie/PxP.jpg

NetChat Lobby: http://www.geocities.com/shwuckie/NetLobby.jpg

Right Click on either one of those and Choose SAVE TARGET AS and RENAME the files to PxP.ZIP and NetLobby.ZIP respectively. also you may have to delete the .DBPRO project file after you extract the files and create a new one, altho they should both work as is if ya use the following paths for extraction:

"C:\Program Files\Dark Basic Software\Dark Basic Professional\Projects\tile engine demo"

"C:\Program Files\Dark Basic Software\Dark Basic Professional\Projects\NetLobby"

features of the tile engine include:

pixel * pixel scrolling
multi layered maps
animated tiles
collision detection
use cursor keys to move around the map

features of the net chat lobby include:

Host IP address lookup (thanx to IanM you legend you!!!)
easy connection setup for Host or Client
message buffer

it unfortunately only supports the host and one remote connection in its current form altho the earlier version supported 16 or more (depending on the limit you set. this was removed because i modified it for a two player game, but having said that, should be easy for you to modify to allow for more than one remote user)

any feedback welcome!

cheers big ears!
optic blast! megablast! have a blast!!
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
What type of collision detection is there? Tile by Tile? I'm looking for Pixel by Pixel collision o_O...

~Morph/Kanzure
CodeNation
shwuckie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2003 19:43
its tile based collision to check whats on the map near the player etc
i did have a routine in an expanded version of this which detected when you found objects and picked them up but thats not part of the basic pixel scrolling engine so its not included in the example

cheers

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Darn, I was hopping for pixel collision...

~Morph/Kanzure
CodeNation
shwuckie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2003 19:55
if i remember correctly IanM has done a great pixel collision/detection function better than the one i had anyway ask him dude!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 19:31:09
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 19:31:09