Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 2 Player Tank Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 04:28
Demo attatched. 1.95Mb zipped.

FEATURES:

* 4 Powerups
* Split Screen and arena overview camera options
* Simple 2d boxes physics system

This is a improved version of my game that won the DBP no media challenge a week or so ago. That itself was based on a DBC game i made a long time ago, High Noon 2, which was a sequel to one of the first things i made in darkbasic!

One of the main suggestions of the compo judge was that i introduce sliding collision. The game now features a rudimentary mechanics system, which seems to work pretty nicely.

I have introduced detail mapping of sorts. I have got blend mapping working, but couldn't work out how to scale texture layers independently. Searching the forum, it seems that blend mapping may be buggy and you can't actually do this. I currently use a ghosted object for the detail mapping on the floor.

Some bugs have been fixed, and there have been a large number of minor improvements. My dev diary is a lot longer than it was so i figured a WIP post was justified.

Please find the controls in the readme in the folder. I also include the .dba incase you want to take a look. The code is very messy and overlong (i intend to generalise a lot of it and use functions etc.). Please make sure you are in 32 bit mode, otherwise it probably won't work (due to image memblock commands).

FURTHER DEVELOPMENT

I intend to make this like a fighting game, but with tanks! This means a number of tanks to choose from, with different strengths, weaknesses and "personalities". I'll make it best of 3,5 rounds or whatever, with "FINAL ROUND : FIGHT!" etc. I intend to improve the graphics and allow for different frame rates. Will add menus.

Work more on the controls- as a result of the mechanics system, precise aiming by tapping the turret control has been lost.

Reduce the mechanics timesteps to less than a frame, since currently penetration into objects is visible and you can squeeze through gaps etc. I also wish to introduce friction.

I want to look into making this online. Haven't done any online before so this is a bit of a mystery to me- not sure how feasible it is yet. I realise that few people, myself included, actually have someone available and willing to play split screen games with! I either need to figure out online or AI!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 04:57
Looks interesting! Will give it a go!

Vorg1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2008 05:58
Looks really cool. I'll try it out
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 19:30
Thanks for looking guys. I appreciate feedback even if you think it's a bit rubbish, and please tell me if it's not working. Here's a video of what it should look like running. Demonstrates the mechanics in action:

Master Xilo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2008 20:27
Your explosions look better than some that I've seen in games that use media!

Thumbs up!

Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2008 00:03
Thanks dude. I am using some media now, but the explosions are still created via memblocks.

wind27382
Years of Service
User Offline
looks good I just think u should try and find better tank models.

wind
Vorg1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2008 06:09
That was a really cool game. Controls a little tricky to get down though. it is hard to drive and turn turret at the same time.

Check out Urban Soldier:Requiem
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2008 10:18 Edited at: 28th Sep 2008 10:20
Looking very good. Make some background, or some skysphere, that will be the icing on the cake! I like the debris you made when the tank gets hit. I will certainly play this!

I noticed by looking at the logo of asteroid worlds, that the explosions look the same there as in this game... But that doesnt really matter.

Suicide is away of telling God, You can’t fire me I quit !!!!!
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2008 00:03
Quote: "looks good I just think u should try and find better tank models."

Thanks dude. I made the tank models in code, to meet the requirements of the no media challenge. Also, to be consistent with my simple collisions system, they need to be boxy. I'd like to improve them at some point, but it's low on the to do list. I may even improve the collision system to allow for a variety of shapes. At the end i may do a "team request" for media and that, but that's a long way off!

Quote: "That was a really cool game. Controls a little tricky to get down though. it is hard to drive and turn turret at the same time."

Thanks very much. Practice makes perfect. I still want to tweak the controls.

Quote: "Looking very good. Make some background, or some skysphere, that will be the icing on the cake! I like the debris you made when the tank gets hit. I will certainly play this!

I noticed by looking at the logo of asteroid worlds, that the explosions look the same there as in this game... But that doesnt really matter. "

Cheers. I'll likely add a sky object shortly. Hopefully i can suss out online and we can all play this. Also, i use the same explosions in pretty much everything.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:25:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:25:53