Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Notice to FMTau Users

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 06:49
http://members.lycos.co.uk/timesaga/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82

just a quick heads up ... i'm not being rude if i don't answer you (well i might be depends if i know you or not ) ... but i've just been issued a new release date by my publisher and i ain't gonna make it only working 10hrs a day.

Thanks
- Raven
http://members.lycos.co.uk/timesaga/p.gif[/img]
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 11:54
erm, that all sounds like fun, but why would not being available mean the site needs to be closed down ?, couldn't, the staff (cough) employee's maintain the site in your absence.

What ever happened to the nFinity Console concept anyway ? and LumaBasic, more release announcements ? oh dear

l8r,
Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 12:48
the site is only temp being closed down... as i've got the new one ready but i have to setup all of the new databases as both the FMTau Labs and Raven Studio sites are using the same database as well as the forums (makes sense when you see it all)

i'm actually saying that i'm not gonna be here much AFTER the site is back up, basically this next fornight is an overhaul - after that it'll be a struggle to contact me.
there are ALOT of projects finally closing this month...
- Zelda will be released August 20th
- Desert Fox will be released within the next 3weeks (depending on how long it takes fallout to finish the soundtrack)
- TPF DLLs ... GeoTerra / MeshExtention / Winuis / DarkKarma - will all be released within a matter of 2weeks (if that, i'm really just writing up help atm)

you add to this i started LumaBASIC a matter of 12-13 days ago, and i've almost got an alpha i'm willing to put into beta ... has working
Structured Type/Functions, Pointers, Std Input/Output, Inline ASM, Arrays, Memory Allocation, 4/8/16/32/64/128 bit access, support and access to MMX/3DNow!/PowerNow!/SSE/SSE2 as well as complete and working access to the new x86-64 and ia64 systems (works a treat on my Athlon64)
However that project is being handed over to Puffy until i get the time to work on it again. I won't be releasing it into the public only out Beta section, and there are no plans for a public release.

there has also been a pretty amicable split (or sorts) of myself and my partner Brent. He will be taking 2 projects off my hands and continuing on with the FMTau Games name... whereas i'm splitting with my own person venture of Raven Studios.
Technically we both still co-own FMTau Labs LLc - but practically speaking neither of us will run it (there is a new third party which will)

so much was taking us over so quickly, especially with having to fly so many places to just talk to certain people face to face all the time. I mean its great getting alot of balls rolling, but dipomacy just not something i find fun and interesting.

with this third party in charge now i think things will finally get back on track with both myself and Brent being able to focus 100% on our own projects, his for the gamecube and mine for the PC

something that has me particularly jazzed recently is that Core have let out a rumour that they're collaborating with another development company ... and currently we're the only guys thier in talks with.
So thats quite a cool rumour to hear right now (^_^)

its gonna be cool cause the way the gaming calander looks for next year its gonna be Best of British cause Perfect Dark2 was finally Officially announced. Alot of the more prodominant Britsh companies are finally showing thier claws, Judge vs Death / Ghost Hunters / Republica / Black & White2 / 7th Day Project / Tomb Raider 7 : Lara's Abyss

we're looking at a very good and strong year for top titles...
all i wanna say for the next 3years is that both Core Design and Raven Studios are making trilogies with very deep seeded stories, but also subplots per game to be stand alone if you choose.

and both are getting ALOT of influence from the upcomming Project-IG film ... i'm hoping that our dealings go very well.

might sound like alot on our plates but really everything is now as good as done, and i now have a single project to work on
and that will be ALL i'm working on for the next 3years.

hope that answers alot of unanswered questions i left earlier

thanks
- Raven

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 17:43
While that's nice and all, but didn't we forget something ?

What is the status of the 'nFinity Console' ? It appears to have vanished into thin air.

l8r,
Kevin Picone
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url]
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 17:52
Ah yes, what DID happen to the 'nFinity Console'.

So - if I've understood everything correctly, you claim that most / all of the above projects will be released, or in beta, by the start of September.

I'll hold you to that.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 18:00
ya, that si weird after what i heard about the release date. I'm probably not alowed to say what i know of the nFinity, but i know it did not vanish into thin air, i can tell you that.

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
Too funny..... too funny!

HOOOWWWLLL!!!
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 18:14
What is?

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 22:43
didn't i mention what is happening with the console?
hmm musta just thought about adding that...
the console is currently being redeveloped in some areas, particularly after the aqusition of Crucial Technologies.
Also the licensing of AMD's x86-64 technology is also likely to bare some interesting fruit.

also questions we rasied in a quite big debate about what language would actually be worth backing here... because if everything switchs to 64bit native processing then this would be pretty useless unless there was an OS & language which could actually take advantage of this.
So alot of preparations for some up comming events, press releases as well as possible changes to some of the funimentals of the project. But how far the changes go or what exactly they are i can't say.

i mean i'd really like to go into alot of detail about what exactly is going on with the project, but alot of it i don't even know as really i've been in a glass bubble (Brents been the one talking to nVidia the past month). I've just been sorting out alot of other things which are more important to our/my immediate future.

all i would say is a December 2003 release date isn't too likely, possible for the hardware ... but not likely due to the changes.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 22:49
'Also the licensing of AMD's x86-64 technology '

Do you even know what you're talking about? How the heck is that neccessary for a CONSOLE? lol...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 22:59
Thanks for the update Raven.
If you're still looking for ideas, on the one game, I made another post in that topic on the FMTau Labs.

Anyway, you might as well get back to work. Should we be expecting you to be back on the forums full time in two weeks?

I'll look forward to Raven Studios.

hmmmm, there was something else I was gonna say, but can't remember.
aw, well.Keep busy coding, and working on your projects.

Yellow:Wanna publish my game microsoft, cuz i no u rich so...Can I have my bag of money now?
Microsoft: *snicker* Tip of the month-Microsoft will never(probebly) publish your game.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 23:09
because Mouse the nFinity was never suppose to be console in the true sense of the word...
and just having x86-64 licensed technology, doesn't mean it'll be the same as an Athlon64 - after all the GeForce GPU is based upon 6x86 technology also licensed from AMD and just look at how they used it.

and if you've not seen the benifits from AMD's Athlon64 technology your truely missing out.
1x Athlon64 1.0Ghz outperforms Dual Itainium2 1.5Ghz Processors (with 15% overall speed)

if you take out the MISC operations and set the processor up as a RISC to work in Sync with a GeForceFX GPU, just think about exactly how much speed a console with that technology could push.

yeah i'm working on the site finishing it up right now to both FMTau and Raven Studios ... i've got a template working for FMTau Games too, but i'm not sure what we're gonna put it up as.
i'll be back tommorrow around the same time to answer questions again, for now i've gotta really get back to work.

hope ya'll looking forward to our new CEO

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Raven, just make the console have some weak 500 mhz intel processor, load up a Linux Kernel OS, and then make it support Allegro for C/C++ and you can get TONS of developers for your console

~Morph/Kanzure
CodeNation
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 23:48
Kanzure, that'd be a good suggestion for you to do maybe.
(Let's just up that 500 mhz, to 733mhz or 1ghz, hehehe.Of course, that may up the price of production up.Unless, you got someone else to produce all the hardware for you.)
The more you think about it, it doesn't seem as hard as it is too make a console.Making the next PS2/X-Box/nfinity/whatever, would be hard to do though.Give it about 4 years time and I bet I could build one, that would operate decently.While 4 years may seem daunting, it would be sufficient enough time, for me to learn more about programming, hardware, marketing, and business.Of course, if I wanted to be successful, we better make that 8 years time.

Anyway I got a little off topic, but I'm sure we'll learn plenty about the nfinity, whenever the sites get updated.So for now, let's just let Raven work.

Yellow:Wanna publish my game microsoft, cuz i no u rich so...Can I have my bag of money now?
Microsoft: *snicker* Tip of the month-Microsoft will never(probebly) publish your game.
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
I suggested 500 mhz because of production cost, and because I got not much $$$...lol...

4 years is too much time actually. In about a month I was able to create a basic operating system that switched to GFX Mode. So instead, simple we rip a Micro Kernal and put it onto teh console, and wala..heh..not that simple, but 2 years is long enough I believe...and then 8 years to make a good game

~Morph/Kanzure
CodeNation
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 00:27
8 years to make a good console system. I say 4 years, because there's plenty to learn about programming, hardware,business, and marketing.Even if you can make something good now, the world is ever changing, and it would take a couple years to get into the flow of everything.(I mainly speak of business.)Anyways, in 1 or 2 years time from now, 500mhz, will seem ancient.

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
It may seem ancient, but just look at the NES/SNES @ only 100 mhz or so..They still house GREAT games!

*Would type more, but my hand is hurting..god this is pathetic..I can only type 90 words per minute! 3 months ago I was at 160..

~Morph/Kanzure
CodeNation
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 00:41
LOL

The NES and SNES don't run at anywhere near 100Mhz, the original PSOne, which is way more advanced than the SNES only had a 90Mhz processor.

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Woah, then the SNES games are a work of fine art My computer @ 444 mhz runs 2D games SLOW at times...

~Morph/Kanzure
CodeNation
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 00:48
'1x Athlon64 1.0Ghz outperforms Dual Itainium2 1.5Ghz Processors (with 15% overall speed)'

Yeah, exept for the little problem that 1x Athalon64 1.0ghz is more expensive than dual Itanium2 1.5Ghz Processors. It has no real value in gaming yet, and won't for a while.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't imagine why a console needs more then 800 mega hertz. 3D GFX can be run @ a crappy 350 mhz~, and then really good / excellent @ 1 ghz...but oh well...

~Morph/Kanzure
CodeNation
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 00:55
In 4 years though, think what the standards will be put up to.They'll probebly be close to 1 ghz.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 01:21
I know. But what Raven is suggesting about using the 64 technology is just ludicrous. Consoles will be using that in-- what-- a decade?

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 01:26
I really don't know what Raven is suggesting with the 64, but we don't know many details anyway, so we better not assume anything.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 01:47
If I remember rightly the SNES is about 3Mhz for the main CPU. But don't forget a TV normally runs at some small res of around 600x400 (and that's high res. PAL video is more like 300x200). Don't need anywhere near my 'puters for that res. Unreal 2003 @ 1600x1200 needs a whole lot more processing. Look at the X-Box. 700Mhz-ish plus an advanced version of the GF3 (although lower than my old GF3Ti-500 I remember reading somewhere). Runs like no-tomorrow. But resolution is still pants in comparison. Like to see it run Q3 @ 2000xwhatever it was I ran it at, and still be smooth.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 03:37
With a console you can get rid of a lot of the stuff that slows a pc down.

Also the image quality doesn't have to be anywhere near as good. A tv screen will cover up a lot so you can cut corners without effecting the final image that much.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 08:28
Quote: "The NES and SNES don't run at anywhere near 100Mhz, the original PSOne, which is way more advanced than the SNES only had a 90Mhz processor."

nes ran @ 8mhz ... snes ran @ 12mhz (11.25) ... PSx/PsOne 33.75Mhz/38Mhz ... N64 90Mhz ... Saturn 33Mhz

Quote: "Yeah, exept for the little problem that 1x Athalon64 1.0ghz is more expensive than dual Itanium2 1.5Ghz Processors."

be interesting how you know this considering the Athlon64 hasn't officially been released yet, and 2 Itainium2 1.5Ghz Processors will set you back around $3,800 ... the Athlon64 is set to hit the market at $800 in Spring 2004 as its the replacement to the AlthonXP series.
also remember the Athlon64 1Ghz is only an experimental model, the real retails will start at 2Ghz - add ontop of this the Itaninium2 Processors have 8Mb of Cache, the Athlon64's only have 512Kb.

anyone who has used a Duron & an Athlon Processor of the same value will understand how much of a different that extra cache will provide as the Duron has 128kb and the Althon has 512kb, at the same speed the Athlon is capable of 20% more calculation speed.

Quote: "Raven, just make the console have some weak 500 mhz intel processor, load up a Linux Kernel OS, and then make it support Allegro for C/C++ and you can get TONS of developers for your console"

Because this would make it far far less powerful than the PS3/XBox2/Dolphin2 ... as this console will need to actually be able to hold its own against these machines with already established titles and fanbases it needs to be something special.

games developers just don't program for Linux, simple reason being it is a BITCH to program for. Add to this only OpenGL & OpenAL are the current game based APi's that are 100% comptible across the board, also a bitch to program with.
Also Allegro?? you've gotta be joking!?! ... i'm sorry but if you think we should push Allegro then hop in your time machine and go back to 1992 when it was a useful engine.

--------------------

all of the changes made to the console ARE NOT upto me... i'm not the one developing the console - this is a HARDWARE issue. The hardware developer lets us know things about the consoles development and technicals, but aside from that we don't get much of a say on how it is developed.

-------------------

Quote: "But what Raven is suggesting about using the 64 technology is just ludicrous. Consoles will be using that in-- what-- a decade?"

by the end of 2005 64bit games will be the normal on the home PC, although throughout all the boasting from Nintendo and Sony thier RISC processors are still using 32bit registers...
and your right 64bit Console integration is not due until the next incarnation of them, probably not until the XBox3/PS4/GC3 etc...

why does that mean that nVidia have to sit back and let this novel technology goto waste?
i'm sorry but i have a cube demo from LumaBASIC using DirectX which is running on IA-64 and another for x86-32 and IA-32 ... the 32bits run on my GeForceFX this spinning cube at 8,000fps (or there abouts) on the IA-64 it runs at 21,680fps, it uses LESS registers and the 64bit IA has around 320 op codes and a base of 32registers.
the x86-64 processor is capable of DOUBLE that, and that is within a CISC/MISC task environment and setup without RISC optimisations.

the processors power isn't just impressive, its mind blowing considering a 1Ghz version can push 160,000,000 gigaflops - a standard x86 1Ghz processor is only capable 95,000,000

sorry but you add to this with the GeForceFX's 128Bit Colour Arctitechture and 256Bit Generalisation Processing ... 32Bit Zbuffer & 32Bit Floating Point Unit - that with this technology could both be raised to 64Bit.

a matter of 4months ago when the idea was posed i doubt there were ever more interested in this project than just something amusing for the home user market. But since the press release and confirmation that Microsoft's XBox2 will be powered by an ATi card, these guys have been working thier asses of to push thier technology far beyond what the GeForceFX 5900ti is even capable of.
because the FX the GPU's FPU's were running @ 24bit psuedo 32bit - this lost them alot of power and ground on the Radeon equivilants.

you might not understand why anyone would embrase brand new technology for a console but goto http://www.amd.com and look at the technical specs of the x86-64 technology.
then goto nVidia and take a look at the GeForce & nForce technologies... This might end up as just another PC in a box like the XBox - but as the mandate is to retail the technology on the PC market as well, to allow everyone to benifit and cap R&D losses if any. The technology is there and its gonna be used.

forget about the EmotionEngine2 Processor with its 32bit Core, 256Bit Bus Interface and 128Kb Cache - Because that processor does ALL of the PS3 calculations, the nFinity will have a 64Bit Core, 256Bit FFB and probably a 512Kb Cache, and thats JUST the main processor ... ontop of that you'll have an Audio Processor and a Graphics Processor.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote: "Also the image quality doesn't have to be anywhere near as good. A tv screen will cover up a lot so you can cut corners without effecting the final image that much."

use a PS2 against a GC on a standard TV, alright the image Quality isn't exactly fantastic... take the same consoles and put them HDTVs, trust me you REALLY notice the different.
The PS2 is great for every home, as it is kinda blurred graphics suit cheap TVs - but HDTVs are getting more and more common now, and the GC & XBox are SHARP on them.

Add to this the PS2 doesn't FSAA very well (or fast) ... which can add alot of depth and even make things stand out better. Something the other consoles don't have even the slightest problem doing.

not to mention all Current consoles are compatible with XGA/DVi monitors - which oftenly is cheaper than buying a TV just for your console. $100 gets your a nice 17" Monitor capable of 1260x1024, or it'll get you a 14" RF Tv (which would you pick?)

---------------------------

ya'll seem to really be living in the past as far as consoles go, its nice to remanise - but if the nFinity was made similar to an XBox, what chance would it have in the market place?
How could we push the boundries of game development?

7th Day Project is probably the main stream game set for this console, and it is also the only one currently in development of its ilk.
The pure depth of the Ai along would kill most computer without a 2Ghz processor, perhaps common now - but for a console the heat would be TOO much, then you have the Graphics engine using Shaders like there's not tommorrow which also slows a common PC down.

infact much current pre-alpha runs at 60fps on an AthlonXP 2400+ w/1Gb DDR2 w/GeForceFX 5800 ... which is far from heatfree.
but on my Athlon64 1.1Ghz w/512Mb DDR2 w/GeForceFx 5900ti runs at around 110fps.
and i've not even rewritten the engine to run on 64bit processor extensions yet!

if the tests are any indication to go on i can up my polycount per scene from 1,500,000 to almost 2,800,000 and get the exact same speed... or put FSAA 8x on and get the exact same speed!

considering TV outputs accept between 25-30fps, this means i'll have almost 60fps to play with because of 2frame comparison blurring (to add realism)
we add this with my new GeoMesh routines which have allowed me to Quariple the polygon count already because it adds depth to the mesh based on camera distance and visual depth.

i mean the possibilities that would open up to this, and forget these bland game engines your used to, with over empashised shadows and lighting calculated basically and per vertex on mesh of only 3,000 polygons.

you're talking mesh here of 8,000 polygons for a standard onscreen model, enough power to multipass the lighting (Luma does it, Shadow->GiLight->ArtificialLight->Post Effects ... within each model is a multipass for each effect, PerPixel->Shadow;Light - - Bump->Shadow,Light - - Effects->Shadow;Caustic;Light) everything has a material shader boundry. The pure realism is close to a rendering engine in RealTime! ... even better in some cases because you can depict sweat as a Shader Surface which is processed by the Effects, so each bead of sweat contributes small light sources.
There are Air routines now which use a simple Chaos equasion to my MicroParticle system, this controls Dust/Volumetrics/NIL (non intelligent life) and other such things...

there is just so much depth added with the extra processing suchas Weighted Bones & Muscle adaptive mesh, you think you've seen some amazing animation so far from HL2 and such ... Facial animations have weighted muscles (oki not as many as a real living thing but enough) to produce some realistic effects. When someone talks the mucles might do something generic, but the weighting means it is always effected by the dynamic engines soft bodies ... so it gives rise to subtle differences, especially as the bones are rigid bodies, muscles are dense bodies and the skin is soft.

So when someone blinks, only the eyelid is animated with a muscle strength ... but it affects the vertex in the area.
Everything within the physics engine has an AREA-OF-AFFECT, which is a very simple way for me to have kept the calculations in a Node-Tree memory model, allows it to ONLY affect faces within a given weighted distance.

But with the combined GeoMesh and Dynamics, when someone strokes thier chin it leaves a ripple wave of where the skin is being pushed in... this is based on visual range really because if the LOD doesn't break down the mesh enough then its not worth showing it, but the shadow effect at a distances gives the same impression.

but my point isn't to explain how 7th Day Project... but how all of the effects i've achieved so far, just are something which are pushing current technology well beyond its limits. It gives the user such and immersive environment and with the extra technology it is just the begining of what technology can push.

The new dynamics skeletal movement routines are something which are just mind blowing, you run towards a car then jump on the bonnet and immediatly jump backwards - the moment will throw you backwards, and quite spectacularly... unfortunately i've not figured out a way to do it without hear "CRACK" as my shins and knee caps break with the reaction force. But that just adds to what the game is about.
Localised damage suchas Bullet shots to the arm, actually affect performances because it takes down the values of that arm. Muscle & Bone alike.

To the point where it could be useless, although you can still do risky stunts like jump off a catwalk and grab onto a beam with both arms - if you put TOO much pressure there is a random chance you arm could give and you fall say 20ft to the floor of a warehouse.
using the animation and controls to perform the hand2hand combat is also something that will just be mind blowing to alow of people.

if i was using convential methods and technology, i'd only be able to have around 1/4 of the features i wanted in this game ... the pure atmosphere they all bring is just something that is indescribable. The decal system alone pushes things to what you'd think were possible allowing cars to have some very very realisic damage effects, for people to get scares, blood to be splattered and then become part of the games atmosphere.

if there was one thing i would want to be proud of in the game it would be the dynamics without a double... i mean watching the animation, clothes reacting with the peoples movement without prescripting, have people run and then watch them try to save themselves as they're shot in the leg and fall forward.
Some things are just priceless, and would just never be without the technology.

64bit will redefine games development, i can guarentee you!
7th Day Project probably will never be a popular title, but it will be a technically definitive one. And its going to be one hell of a story that will hopefully just encompass those fans of the game itself

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 10:30
http://www.nintendo.com/systems/snes/snes_specs.jsp

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 10:49 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2003 10:50
for those to lazy:

Opinions are like a$$holes, Everybody has one.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 11:57
The Atari ST and Amiga ran at around 7-8mhz, I did'nt think the NES was that fast, 12mhz sounds about right for the SNES though.

Not that it matters, not that any of the nonsense said in this topic matters... come on guys, enough with this non/never-existing console.

Not trying to bitch here but you guys have no chance of making a console, not now, not in 8 years - it takes development, research, and the most important thing, a shitload of money. Why do you think it's never been done on a hobbyist level before?.

As for Raven's games and all the secrecy surrounding them, we shall see in September how many personal tragedies and hardware problems occur to stop that happening.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 13:49
Quote: "we shall see in September how many personal tragedies and hardware problems occur to stop that happening"

Thats a bit cynical...

Its better than a poke in the eye...
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 13:50
why do i suddleny feel i need to buy some text to speach software...

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 15:11
Cynical/realistic/obvious - it's all the same to me .

I hope Raven does release some great stuff, but I've lost faith in him ever finishing anything, he's been using DB for so long and released practically nothing, so forgive my negative tone in that last statement.

How about this:
If in September (any day), Raven releases 1 project, or 1 demo - anything he's done that we can download and play - I'll take back every word I've said about his lack of completed work.

Van-B

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 15:50
Quote: "why do i suddleny feel i need to buy some text to speach software"

No need - use my plug-in...

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 18:14
Quote: "i can up my polycount per scene from 1,500,000 to almost 2,800,000"
is that seriously going to be the specs for nFinity? 2,800,000 poly's. GC i believe has 12 million a second. I have it somewhere...

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 21:01
Quote: "it takes development, research, and the most important thing, a s**tload of money. Why do you think it's never been done on a hobbyist level before?."

which is exactly why FMTau ourselves aren't developing the nFinity
all that really happened was the idea was posed quite strategically, the ball rolling itself was done by people who know exactly what they're doing when it comes to new technology

Quote: "The Atari ST and Amiga ran at around 7-8mhz"

Amiga's and Atari's started at 12Mhz by 1991 most of thier models ran at around 30Mhz ... unfortunately no 68k processor actually runs at over 40Mhz instead they just use the PPC which started at 50Mhz and goes upto 1.2Ghz

Quote: "is that seriously going to be the specs for nFinity? 2,800,000 poly's. GC i believe has 12 million a second. I have it somewhere..."

There's a difference between Technical Triangles per second and Realtime, the Technical Triangles are PURELY triangle calculations, no shading, no textures, nothing except the triangle wireframe to buffer.

2.8million triangles not only textured but with upto 8layers of Shaders & Geometry MipMapping ... i have a feeling that the GC probably could push around 300,000 in the same circumstances.

Quote: "I hope Raven does release some great stuff, but I've lost faith in him ever finishing anything, he's been using DB for so long and released practically nothing, so forgive my negative tone in that last statement."

people believe that just because you don't release game or software and are majorily credited for the work you put in, or because its not been released from just you - that means you've done alost nothing.
I have a problem with backburning my own projects when people ask for my help ... there are a few things on my HDD, but it all depends on what i actually decide to share and release publically.
Alot of things i do/have worked on only ever get released to mates, after that it kinda loose interest or get side tracked.
There is alot of my work out there, perhaps not with my name exclusively on the package (probably not even within the credits knowing alot of people here) ... but i know i've helped them out and thats all that really matters.

WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't for get the GBA. It runs at 300Mhz

HOOOWWWLLL!!!
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 22:13
Quote: "GC i believe has 12 million a second"

At 50fps that is only 240,000 polygons. At PAL television fps that is 480,000 polygons and at NTSC resolutions 400,000 polygons.

All are significantly lower than

Quote: "is that seriously going to be the specs for nFinity? 2,800,000 poly's"

I don't know the specs of the nFinity or whether the project will ever get finished or if it's got more hot air than a Richard Branson record attempt, but one thing I do know though is that the little guy can pitch a product successfully to the big corporations. The trick is not to get ripped off when you do.

Ideas on the other hand, they have no value at all. It's delivering that counts and that is where Raven falls over. His work is high quality and well considered. I have seen this desert helicopter game he talks about but until Raven starts sacrificing some of that quality I do not believe he'll finish it or anything else.

One person cannot develop every aspect of a piece of software to the very highest standard in all aspects of that product. Without a team or with only a small team you nead to compromise on quality to achieve a finished result. Finishing is more important than quality, and Raven needs to learn that in my opinion.

Pneumatic Dryll
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 23:08 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2003 23:09
This is a very interesting topic.

Quote: "One person cannot develop every aspect of a piece of software to the very highest standard in all aspects of that product. Without a team or with only a small team you nead to compromise on quality to achieve a finished result. Finishing is more important than quality "

I cut out the last part about raven, but I feel those are some important words.Nothings impossible though, and any type of quality can be achieved with some time and effort.

@Van B.

Quote: "I hope Raven does release some great stuff, but I've lost faith in him ever finishing anything, he's been using DB for so long and released practically nothing, so forgive my negative tone in that last statement."

I know what you mean, but I've seen pictures of works on his forums, and I also find myself in his position, for this instance.Although, I've been only using DB, for a little over 3 months, I've still made 4-5 games, and yet the only thing I've shown was my(still incomplete) matrix editor.(This isn't even a game.)Simply, because my games were fairly good compared to some others I've seen, yet there is really no need to post them, unless I wanna see 10 posts saying "good job", or "looks great!"
-Quality over quantity-

@Raven (well everyone, too I guess)

Personally, I think the nfinity will pull through, but i have a hard time believing until I see.Though it sounds like you're pretty sure about what you're talking about, so that makes you very credible. If I'm right though, nvidia is producing this? It'll be interesting to see how this turns out, especially with all the effects you've mentioned.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 23:28
Quote: "The NES and SNES don't run at anywhere near 100Mhz, the original PSOne, which is way more advanced than the SNES only had a 90Mhz processor."

Thanks for the correction there - just checked and the PSOne was a 33Mhz chip apparently. Pretty surprising but I guess that would explain the crappy GFX.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 23:40 Edited at: 24th Jul 2003 00:53
@Raven

[Edit: Thought Raven meant polys / sec]

@VanB

We'll see come September, now he has mentioned a hard date for everything...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 00:37
Rob... not in Realtime
hardware manufacturers are reknown for releasing "facts" about thier cards & hardware which are true only in a given circumstance.

if you want to see what i mean, i have a demo on OpenGL of a Porsche i could show you using TnL.

on a AthlonXP 1Ghz w/GeForce4ti the 250,000 polygon untextured model with a single light source and sphere mapping will display at around 300fps.

(doesn't sound that impressive as 12,000,000 Triangles Per Second)

but if you think about it, each effect must pass the trangle over which means Calculation->Shade->Normalisation->Transform&Light->Texture->Effect

which means the engine is calculating 6x 250,000 (1,500,000 sounds a bit more impressive no?)

but even still 300fps, for a single static model with no Ai, no Shader effects, etc...
on thier own the values seem impressive - but when adervages games right now can only push around 300,000 MAX in realtime for gameplay and most don't even come close to that, HL2 for example only uses 180,000 per scene.

so when you take that 180,000 that HL2 pushs and pit it against the 2,800,000 that 7th Day Project can push ... doesn't that seem just a little more impressive?

i really don't think most people here really understand what goes into the scenes behind games, how much the engine must actually cut alot of the scene away so that it can actually process it realtime.
How many polygons, textures, texels & shades can be held in memory.

Quote: "5 million polys transformed and lit (in DBPro). This is > 60 million if you disable textures and lighting (in DBPro)."

Sorry but thats probably the biggest load of crap i've heard in a long long long time.
DirectX can't even push that, why should you expect me to believe that DBP could.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 00:52 Edited at: 24th Jul 2003 00:55
Quote: "Rob... not in Realtime"

I misread your spec. I thought you meant polys per second. If you mean pure polycount then that is obviously lower.

Quote: "Sorry but thats probably the biggest load of crap i've heard in a long long long time.
DirectX can't even push that, why should you expect me to believe that DBP could."

My figures are polys per second, not per frame remember, so divide by 50 to get the actual no. of polys on screen at once.

Quote: "so when you take that 180,000 that HL2 pushs and pit it against the 2,800,000 that 7th Day Project can push ... doesn't that seem just a little more impressive?"

Where did you get that figure for HL2? - Its probably pure bull. Besides, I seriously doubt that you could create a vastly more powerful engine than the team at Valve or John Carmack (Doom 3 Lead programmer in case you didn't know).

Now, from a guy whose only contribution to DBP that I have seen thus far is a non-working FSAA support detection DLL, a plugin which calls the Windows MessageBox function, and a basic cube mapping demo - I think you can see why many people are so cynical.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 01:35
Quote: "Amiga's and Atari's started at 12Mhz by 1991 most of thier models ran at around 30Mhz"

Amiga 500/+/600/1000/2000 = 7.14 Mhz
Amiga 1200 = 14 Mhz
Amiga 3000/4000 = anything upto 25 Mhz

The programmer formerly known as sonic
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 01:42
I have been in contact with FMTau lately, and i think that it will be done.

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 02:12
Yeah, thanks Spooky, the Atari ran a little faster, 8mhz I think, but the Amiga had a great blitter so was always a pretty capable machine. The Atari STE got a blitter and a slightly better colour pallete, then the Falcon came with true colour and a 33Mhz processor.

Van-B

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 02:41 Edited at: 24th Jul 2003 02:42
And the Falcon was over-priced and badly designed (rather buggy). And you had difficulty getting one...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 03:05
well just incase you didn't know...
Jedi Knight2 peak Polygons-Per-Scene that i've had was 70,000
- this is BSP world
- Models (which LOD remember)
- weapon model
- particles

and that was in a section in Bespin where you had around 12 Stormtrooper. Its the highest polycount area of that game and it hits every setup hard ... on my AthlonXP 1800+ w/GeForce3Ti200 it was pushing 80fps, which is acceptable ... but remember there are NO realtime shaders in play.

HL2 and Doom3 also have pretty stark polycounts 100-250,000 per-scene with an adverage of around 180,000 (there are Beta's on Kazaa if you want to know this without happing to have legal copies)

infact amusingly Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness is currently the HIGHEST polygon pushing game on the market, at peak of 650,000 perscene ... and for the PC it demands a pure monster of a system.

HL2's Characters although they're polycounts are 6,000 also use similar GeoMipMap techniques as i'm using (adapted from my recent GeoTerra, it was amazingly simple actually - surprised anyone still uses normal LOD methods)
What actually gives thier characters the depth and perceived polycount are the Shaders, if you apply a PerPixelLighting & BumpMapping you can give the appearance of almost double the polygons.

Just look at the pictires of the fat Doom3 zombies online atm, those models aren't even 3,000 polygons - but with all the Shaders they look like thier easily 12,000.

http://ravenstudios.puffinteractive.com/personal/Porsche.zip 7mb - thats an OpenGL TnL w/Cube Mapping example on a 250,000 polygon vehicle.

there is NO Ai, NO Shaders, NO Visibility Culling, No Collision Dynamics ... no doubt it runs quite smoothly on your system (but i'll be surprised if it hits over 300fps)

actual polycounts aren't the biggest problem in an engine, but being able to push over 1,000,000 in a fully working game environment.
that is just quite frankly unheard of.
If you don't believe me then email idsoftware or valve, both are answering emails again and ask them roughly how many polygons-per-scene they push.

but think about it, your going by per second and by per frame...
so my 2,800,000

are not only going through 8render passes per frame, but also at 60 frames per second, which gives you a total of around 1,344,000,000 - does that seems a little more impressive to you?

------------------------------------

Quote: "Amiga 500/+/600/1000/2000 = 7.14 Mhz"

my Amiga 500+ (which is laying in peices behind me atm) says 27.375Mhz on it

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 03:53
That's one nice porshe model. A nice little demo too.
Got around 200 fps.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 03:55
Slighty off-topic but
http://www.myoldcomputers.com/museum/computerlist.htm
has a fair bit of info on old computers.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 08:28:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 08:28:24