Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Flexibility...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello...I'm interested in developing a MMPOG but I have a few questions about flexibility.

I've tried these game development environments in the past and most of them kept you on the straight and narrow as far as what you can do.

Now to the questions...

Flexibility? How flexible is this software. Is it flexible enough for me to design the server side of the software on linux, while just building the client with DBpro? Meaning will DBpro only be able to link with a DBpro app?

If that is possible, would I be able to make DBpro spawn 'objects' that the server software tells it to? Meaning is DBPro limited to only loading objects when the game is load?

Is DBPro robust enough to support 100 people running around with at least moderatly high polygon toons?

Or is the software mainly for dabblers?

Interested, so if the question sound like insults don't take it personal. I've been rummaging through the DARKBasic webpage looking for capabilities and havn't really found anything specific.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 11:30
not sure about the server side of things but dbpro can handle about 256 players at once i think. There are also many vey high standard games so i don't thinks its for dabblers if i understand the bit about loading object right, you can load objects at any point in your program there isn't a set time/part of the code when they must all be loaded. although it may be quicker to do it a certain way.

You know whats weird???
Donald duck never wore pants, yet everything time he got out of the shower he put a towel around his waist...
Whats with that???
Ralen
Years of Service
User Offline
Whooops sorry, did a little more search and found the answer to most of my questions...

I guess my real question would have to be...

Would a server application that I write be able to connection with DBPro?

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 12:24
yup

sharing a file between the two apps

by reading in a data file you have created
by reading a text file you have created

sending data via an ip address and having a server listen for the data

using the clipboard but yeah im not so sure about that

ftping the data tot he client via DB and linux.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 15:35:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 15:35:58