Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Copyright issue ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 13:10
Don't know if anyone knows much about copyright laws but thought i'd put a question to you.

In my travels I found a Quake 3 level map which I would like to inc in my game, only using the enclosed bsp file and textures.

Anyway in the attached readme is the below statement

Quote: "
This level is (c) 2001 ****Persons name****.
You are not to include or distribute this map in any sort of commercial product without
first obtaining permission from the author. You may not mass distribute this level via any
non-electronic means, including but not limited to compact disks, and floppy disks without
first obtaining permission from the author.
"

There were 2 email addresses and 2 websites also on the readme file but none exist anymore. If i just use it anyway where do I stand as I'm sure the designer would not mind anyway but cant get in contact ?

What would be classed as a commercial product ? Anything that is put publically on web or something that would be sold ? My game is free and only place it will be is on my site and the showcase section on this site ?

Any ideas ?
"Time to play."
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 13:16
its copyrighted material and cannot be used if no contact has been made

your gonna have to track down the guy.

Opinions are like a$$holes, Everybody has one.
jeffmosesuk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 13:28
Doh! Yeah I thought as much, you would think in this day and age it would be easy to track someone down. Looks like I will just have to stop being lazy and spend a few weeks (months) on my own map.

"Time to play."
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 19:00
If your product is free and you can't find him, it might be okay to use it. The agreement states that it is fine to distribute it in a freeware product electronically... that is, if your product is freeware...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 19:44
I would use it in a freeware game but provide credit and leave the original readme from the map in with your game.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:38:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:38:44