Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Custom Skeletons

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm making working on an enemy for a game that I'm making..but I want to know if I'm wasting my time; does FPSC X10 support custom skeletons? Especially from say...Truespace 7.6? It'd be quite a bit of a turn-off as you can imagine to have spent all that time making a good skeleton, doing the animations, etc. only to find out it won't work in FPSC X10. I got some but not that many responses on the X10 forum...before it got overrun by bots
seth zer0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2008 10:27 Edited at: 28th Sep 2008 16:46
If you do the animation in the order that the manule said to it should work right. Just make your custom one in the blank frames.. And yes truespace 7.6 will export to .x files,.dds (for texture) and will work in fps creator x9 and x10.. But now on the x10 side i do not know how to import npc entitys so that the only problem i have getting enimes into my game.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 01:34
All you need to do is ensure all of the bones are connected and have the same names as the default FPSC skeleton. If they are disconnected, or have different names that the default bone names, the rag doll does crazy things.

You'll also need to write a custom .fpe for the character to specify animation frame ranges.

It is recommended to add custom animations to the existing skeleton but it should work using a custom skeleton providing you follow these guidelines.
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
What if the skeleton is a little...wierd? I mean like if the arms have several joints or if it's for a creature like a centaur or something (I mean like something with many arms/legs). The creature I'm working on has tentacles and the tentacles have more bones than a regular arm...I already made the skeleton but it's not too late to adjust it..

BTW, how can I get the existing skeleton? For some reason I get an error when I try to import stock characters into Truespace.

@ Nomad Soul
What sort of crazy things does the ragdoll do if they aren't named correctly?
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 04:20
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78553&b=24

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth" -- Mike Tyson
seth zer0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 12:40
Yea importing to truespace from fps creator x9 or x10 has never worked. But if you can get something that converts it in to another file format say like .3ds, .obj, or .wav or anything truespace 7.6 has for importing. You can import with no problem. I use milkshape for the bones and converting. And then truespace for the rest.
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
That's good to know. So basically, FPSC X10 will support any skeleton I make in Truespace whether it has more limbs than usual or not? It will keep the joint limits too? I mean because if it has several arms for example, how would I name each joint for the FPE?
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2008 03:48
No. Do not assume that. About a month ago I emailed Lee about skeletons. He said...

Quote: "The skeletons in X10 and X9 are identical. Using a custom skeleton is not officially supported, but you can certainly have a go."

So clearly there's nothing that X10 does intentionally to prevent custom skeletons. But you'd be on your own to make it work. Unless you get some folks here in the community to give you a hand.

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth" -- Mike Tyson
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I remember when you mentioned that. The most recent newsletter say it (or at least X9) supports up to 60 bones now instead of 32 so I guess it should work theoretically...time to start experimenting!

On a different note, does anyone know how to place dummies in Truespace? From what I understand you need to place what are called dummies somewhere on the model and name them "firespot" or others (or something like that, I'm not entirely sure). Could anyone patiently explain to me how that works (and if possible, how to place dummies in Truespace)? From what I've seen, the dummies tell FPSC where the gun is held, or where the bullets come out from in a gun, but I'm not entirely sure...
seth zer0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2008 16:19
If you can still find it, there a video tutorial on how to do that with gamespace(truespace made for games)It goes into a lot more thought but it has that dummie thing.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 07:56:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 07:56:34