Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Learning DarkBASIC Pro vs. VB 2005 - Training Materials

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

I originally learned BASIC on an Apple IIE in the late 80's-90's but havn't done any programming since then. I'd say my proficiency was around the high end of novice when I stopped. I'd like to learn again and DarkBASIC Pro is a real attractive package for me because games and graphics are what I'm into. That kind of stuff appears to be a lot more complex (or at least involves one hell of a lot more code) in VB 2005.

Here's my dillema though -- there don't seem to be any GOOD books out there on DB Pro programming. Sure, there's the Jonathan Harbour stuff but he tends to be like "It's real simple... heres steps one through three.... " and then suddenly four through 10 are complete with no explanation!

There are, however, a lot of good VB books that are full of exercises and projects and teach programming but lack any graphic or games content.

SO what's my best bet here? Set aside the graphics stuff until I get a solid ground in coding with VB (since I can obtain good training materials) or might there be some stuff out there I havn't uncovered in my search, good DBPRO books?

Thanks for any advice,
Marc

mdholman69@yahoo.com
pirate
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 19:53
there are the two guide to db programming books on this site...but i would recommend just following every tutorial you can find...with a basic programming background you should pick up quickly....

thanks, pirate
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 21:21 Edited at: 29th Sep 2008 21:24
i only have 3 books about darkbasic pro but they are all great
hands on dark basic pro 1-2 and dark basic pro game programming the second edition.
but the best way to learn is to check the amazing amount of snippets in the codebase or all the various threads here.
and anytime you nead help is it only to ask as the comunity here is alot about helping each other when we can
cheers and welcome

ps there is another book that i cant remember that recently got published but dont remember the name ?
almost forgot that all newsletters from way back to now have tutorials on all you nead to know
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2008 23:18
I've actually started to gather the tutorials from around the bords into a single pdf file here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=137027&b=7.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2008 00:03
great stuff nickydude
there you see marc
this is our comunity of dark basic users
a helping hand in the dark

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 20:22:46
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 20:22:46