Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Lighting my objects correctly?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
In the attached pic, you can see that I've got some relatively simple trees (.x objects) using simple material shading - no textures.

Lighting the level is set as follows:

The trees are setup like this:

Individually, each tree doesn't look too bad, but when they're close together, they all blend into each other. There is no definition between the edges of the different trees.

I suspect this is down to how I'm lighting the level/objects, but any pointers as to what I should be doing would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BlobVanDam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2008 06:44
I suspect the main reason they're all so bright is because your main light is directly overhead. Because of that, the trees are lit the same rough brightness all the way around (even though it's a point light it seems far enough in the sky to still cause this). So they end up being roughly the same colour and blend into each other.
My suggestion would be to try moving the light a bit to the side so shadows one side of the trees darker, as long as you don't mind it affecting your shadow direction.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 20:19:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 20:19:11