Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Engines that I can post WIPs for - must it be a TGC product?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 18:12
I have been learning Source, and I want to know if WIP threads must be made in a TGC or TGC sponsored product. Can I post my awesome WIP?

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 18:56
People have posted WIP made with other languages but they do not receive a warm reception here. This is a DBC/DBPro board mainly. Even FPSC WIP threads don't get much fanfare, even though that is a TGC product. Same with RealmCrafter and other game maker software. It's not a written rule somewhere but it's just how it is...

Surely there must be a Source-based forum somewhere you can post your WIP where it will get appreciated more. Then if you want people on TGC forums to comment stick a link to it in Geek Culture? Just a thought.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 19:39
Thanks. Expect to see a new WIP thread soon...

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2008 19:47
Also you can put wip thread on programming talk (c++,c etc etc) but i must warn you its not very popular board.

General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
Try putting something in geek culture. Everyone goes there.

CPU: AMD X2 6000+ 3.0ghz GFX: NVIDIA BFG Geforce 8800GTS 640MB OC-550mhz core RAM: 2048mb

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 07:53
There's a reason why languages ahve their own forums....it doesn't make sense to post a Game Maker game on the Dark Basic forums, and vice versa.

Quote: "Thanks. Expect to see a new WIP thread soon..."

Did you even read his post? It's not a good idea.

Vickie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 08:02 Edited at: 11th Oct 2008 08:03
I say GO FOR IT!

Always~
Vickie
After all, in the End its all about the Game!

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2008 14:57
@ Uncle Sam
Yes, I did read his post. There is no rule against it, so i'll go for it. This is a game making forum, for showing off games.
@ Vickie
Precisely.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 14:42 Edited at: 12th Oct 2008 14:42
@Vicky
You, too, moved your game to the Programmers Talk forum. You of all people should know all he's going to be in WIP is getting flamed. It's about the game, sure, but not in WIP. WIP has been declared DBC/DBP only by the community, sorta.

This thread itself should not be in WIP. It's not a WIP.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 15:18
tha_rami is correct
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2008 23:27
Go go space girl vicki
cool photo
Sadly do i have to agree that you probably should post this in the programming talk (c++,c etc etc) or geek talk.
Many are protective about the wip thread as it was intended for tgc products.
As we actually did find that the realmcrafter is ?
As tgc sells it and getting money thru this to give uss better tgc products like dbp x10
Vickie
Years of Service
User Offline
thats right Cliff, so now I can post my RC shots here
oh and thanks for the nice comments about my outfit, but its not
"space girl Vickie" its "Cyber Junky Barbie" just FYI
Always,
Vickie

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2008 18:55
Firstly, the general rule of thumb is that WIP is for games/applications made with products sold by TGC - DBP, DB Classic, GDK< Realmcrafter, Leadwerks etc.

The other thing is the contribution that somebody has made to the community. For example, OSX Using Happy Dude often pops by, and his many years of sharing his knowledge with everyone means he gets away with posting Mac-based games. On the other hand, if someone registers today and posts a Blitz game, I'm sure you can guess the outcome.

Rambo Pow Pow
Years of Service
User Offline
i don't know about getting flamed or anything, people have shown interest and provided me with constructive feedback on my non TGC project.

i think if the game showcases interesting ideas, it will not matter what it's made with. a non TGC game can still inspire/entertain TGC users and vice versa.

Even though I've not been posting much, i do come here from time to time to check the projects just to see whats going on. It's not because i don't care much about TGC products that i don't care about what it can produce, and i think most TGC users think the same ?

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2008 23:01
Iam yust pointing to batvinks post
The only tgc product that actually have its own and specific threads for wip and showcase is the fpsc 1-2.
So i can understand if people gets upset when fpsc games gets posted here as it have its own section
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 18:00 Edited at: 14th Oct 2008 18:07
If my game shows reasonable amounts of progress, looks good, then I will post it. This is a WIP forum for WIP Games, with a community with people that I trust. I'm not posting the WIP anywhere else and I am going to post a WIP.

I also refuse to put it on Geek Culture as it is a WIP not off-topic talk.

Also if you choose to flame me, that's not my problem as one of the main TGC community rules is not to flame.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 18:20
No.

If you post a non-TGC product WIP then it'll be locked or deleted. We appreciate that users might use other engines but these engines have their own forums and rules. Even FPSC projects get moved or locked here.

This is not something we do because we love locking or moving posts, it's to avoid flaming. The last thing you need when looking for feedback is a lot annoyed DB'ers wondering what a steam or whatever project is doing here.

There's no point being obtuse about it, the rules, or should I say guidelines are in place for a reason. There are places to post this stuff as already stated, please don't waste your own and our time by ignoring this.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 18:50 Edited at: 14th Oct 2008 18:50
Maybe - but shouldn't that be made explicit somewhere? The obvious place to look doesn't seem to cover it:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=37738&b=8

Perhaps the relevant guidelines are somewhere else?
General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2008 23:15 Edited at: 14th Oct 2008 23:15
Quote: "Even FPSC projects get moved or locked here"

Okkayyyyy. So where are those FPSCers supposed to post their showcases. This rule dosent make sence.

Edit: Sorry VanB i didnt realise there was a fpsc showcase.

CPU: AMD X2 6000+ 3.0ghz GFX: NVIDIA BFG Geforce 8800GTS 640MB OC-550mhz core RAM: 2048mb

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2008 00:17 Edited at: 15th Oct 2008 00:18
I agree 100% with VanB. So I have a question... now that Rick isn't around much who is in charge of the forum pages? A simple change (in italics) like this would prevent any confusion. (And as some of you notice there has been quite a bit of confusion over the last year or two.)
Program Announcements
Written something of quality in DarkBASIC or DarkBASIC Professional? Then post about it here! Please try and include download locations and screen shots if possible.
Work in Progress
If you've not quite finished your latest blockbuster in DarkBASIC or DarkBASIC Professional, but still want people to comment on it then here is where you shout it out.

Or at least a sticky of the "unwritten" rules.

I've always seen WIP as a precursor to Program Announcements. Since Program Announcements is specific, why isn't WIP specific? And this specificity isn't always tied to the language used. Many C++ plugins to DBPro have been announced in WIP and Program Announcements, and that is fine because it directly relates to DBPro.

I really like what Kevin Picone did with his language - but I sometimes wonder why his language updates have a post in WIP (I know it's sold by TGC too). I mean... it's a cool language but he does have his own forums for it, eh?

In the end I guess it's just best to not get so fussy about these trivial things, and just go about creating games.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 15th Oct 2008 00:39
Quote: "Program Announcements
Written something of quality in DarkBASIC or DarkBASIC Professional? Then post about it here! Please try and include download locations and screen shots if possible.
Work in Progress
If you've not quite finished your latest blockbuster in DarkBASIC or DarkBASIC Professional, but still want people to comment on it then here is where you shout it out.

Or at least a sticky of the "unwritten" rules."

Very helpful suggestions.

The only reason this thread exists is that the rules aren't easily found - or are vague.

Quote: "In the end I guess it's just best to not get so fussy about these trivial things, and just go about creating games."

Agreed - but we need some easily spotted guidelines so we don't waste so much time on this sort of thread.
Vickie
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "In the end I guess it's just best to not get so fussy about these trivial things, and just go about creating games."

That said it all tiresius~ No reason to be uptight, I think everyone
here need to step back from thier computers pop a cold one or 10
and just have some "you time" get in touch with that inner game
developer you beat up on all the time.

Always~
Vickie

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2008 00:46
Really? I like keeping mine beaten near to death and chained up in a cold dark cell so I can let my inner tyrant stay in power.
Vickie
Years of Service
User Offline
LMAO!!! I think thats the problem around here, you poor guys~

Always~
Vickie

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2008 19:00
And I'm supposed to meet that guy with the inner tyrant in real life tomorrow. I think I'll be skipping school tomorrow.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 02:25:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 02:25:38