Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Retro Remakes (DB competitions question)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 21:53
About once every three years, I think of an actual game idea. And, last night one occurred to me . . .

So, here's my question:

When you guys do the retro remakes around here, how much "retro" has to end up in the game?

For example, if the oldie was a 2D, can you redo it as 3D?

What I'm looking at are the old Lunar Lander games -- all of which were 2D.

I was looking at some of the film footage of the real (or faked, if you are of that bent) landings, and thought it would be an interesting retro to make something that looked a lot like the old footage.

Since I've been piddling with Terragen, and trying to figure out what would ever require a world THAT big, I concluded that a large lunar lander field would be useful.

Since you would have minimum of objects (lander, terrain) one HIGH-HIGH poly object would be no big deal.

Would this be sufficient to be a retro remake, or would it be considered too different?
We can't stop here! This is bat country!
CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 22:05
Somewhat off topic:

I have yet to see a good retro for Sinistar. There was one made in 1997 called Sinistar: Unleashed which did not get good reviews even though it was all out 3D.
Maybe a 3D one should be made here with good, old-fashioned 2D gameplay mechanics.

About Terragen, sounds like a good idea. I just hope that it beats the gazillion other Lander clones to date.

"I need gopher-chucks!!"
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 23:25
Just to clarify, Terragen is a landscpae modelling prog. I haven't thought of a name for this thingie yet.

I'm debating how real the physics out to be.

And, yes, I am aware how utterly lacking in game ideas this means I am.

Basically, I use DB to run interactive 3DS models. Beats paying for a 3D engine like a lot of folks do (I know an architectural firm that runs demos on a license of the Unreal Engine, or some other FPS, without the guns).

So, we would say this lunar lander idea is retro?

BTW -- what could you do to spice up a lunar lander game?!

Basically, you have fuel, gravity, and terrain.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 04:14 Edited at: 24th Jul 2003 04:16
Ever play thrust?
A c64 era game I played on bbc. You have to collect these pods from under ground and fly them into space.

Not sure if it would translate to 3d at all but is a similar type of game and was very difficult.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~peda/thrust/

Quote: "When you guys do the retro remakes around here, how much "retro" has to end up in the game? "

It's completly irelevent how much of the original remains in the re-make as long as it is fun to play. If it is for a competion then the rules of the competion may impose on what you can do.
8truths
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 08:12
OK . . . Sort of figured there was a generic standard.

I like the idea of gathering the pods. Or maybe lost astronauts. Or kittens.

Or we could just say they're Millenium Psychic Pearls of Power that you have to collerct to defeat the Dark Overlord Master before he captures all the jing-weeds of ____________ (insert Japnese-sounding name here.

Whatever the case, it is a very good MacGuffen.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:37:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:37:16