Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Centipede

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 22:15
No, this isn't about the old game, but this thread could eventually discuss it. I just squashed a disturbingly large one in my own house; damn, that thing had HUGE MULTIPLE legs!!! It must have taken my a minute to conjure up the courage to lunge after it with a wad of toilet paper!!!
Curse these freakish things from Seti-Alpha-Six. Anyone else have any problems with 'em. I never used to until I moved to Minnesota.
"I need gopher-chucks!!"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 23:54
I thought I was the only one

We have really horrific ones over here. They're big enough that my little sisters' shoes can't squash them all the way , with TONS of legs, and they move as fast as all heckout.

Luckily, with our cold falls and late springs in New England, only summer and early fall are the times we have problems with bugs

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 00:05
Whoa! I guess I'll stop complaining. The biggest ones I've seen are about five or six inches.

I hear those things are poisonous too, so it's a double whammy.

"I need gopher-chucks!!"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 01:05 Edited at: 24th Jul 2003 01:07
' The biggest ones I've seen are about five or six inches'

You're VERY lucky

Yes, supposedly they're poisonous

Edit--

'Although weakly toxic to humans and resembling a bee sting in pain, there is some risk of allergic reaction and life-threatening anaphylactic shock from a centipede bite.'

Gurk.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
jeffmosesuk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 01:38
giant poisonous centipedes ? Glad I live in uk, most dangerous things we have here are wasps
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 02:03
I rarely see centipede's here.

---Mattman
DID YOU KNOW THAT ???
jeffmosesuk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 02:46
was it a copy ?
CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 23:47
Why, why, why do they need all those legs???

"I need gopher-chucks!!"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 23:59
They don't... well, I suppose they do, they actually have a place in the world eating bugs.

Unlike wasps and hornets and mosquitos, who have no real reason to exist, no place in the food chain except as pests and parasites...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 05:06
Hornets are scarey. Very scarey. Why horror films focus on spiders i'll never know, oh wait, it's because spiders are safe to film with.

I have hay feaver, and was once stung in the eye by a wasp or bee, not sure which as I didn't see it (spot the irony there!), unfortunately the insect was carrying pollen and I had an allergic reaction to it in addition to the swelling caused by the sting.

I had my eye out to remove all the pussy gubbins and that was not nice, they didnt knock me out because apparently that would leave me blind - they literally did just 'pop' it out - horrid. It's heavily scarred on the retina meaning I now wear glasses and I used to have 20/20 vision.

So anyway the point to this story is creapy crawlies are evil, particularly stinging ones. I thought of this as I read through this thread, then I thought:

But centipede's!? They are these little tiny things that just run around and don't do much except eat leaves. Why the fuss? Just help mother natures creature back into the garden and problem solved.

Then you say stinging centipedes with a poisonous bite!? This forum doesn't allow me to express my utter bewilderment at such a concept.

Then you say giant ones that are larger than a shoe...!?

We're talking about the same creature right? Those little ugly things that don't freak me out at all (except the thought of lying down on grass and having one creap into my ear - that's a freaky thought for cenitpedes)? Are we really talking about the same creature?

Pneumatic Dryll
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 05:26 Edited at: 25th Jul 2003 05:26
You may not think they're very nasty Dryll but you'd have a very different opinion if you woke up with your arms covered in awful, swollen bites and a centipede crawling on your face . They are NOT nice at all. Especially when they are big.

I'm not afraid of hornets/bees though... I kill hornets, but bees fascinate me, I really love them.

Now cattipilars, they are cute little things . Back in Seattle we used to get tons of little green ones with red heads, really cute little things, I'd sit in the yard for half an hour letting one crawl on my hand (about the time it took the thing to move 3 inches).

Ah memories...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:42:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:42:03