Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Mr. Bear gets a job

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2008 05:47 Edited at: 14th Nov 2008 04:38
Yes, I'm finally resurrecting Mr. Bear! Last time, I got stuck halfway through the game, due to the fact that I had no idea where to go from where I was. Luckily, this time, it will be entirely comprised of large mini-games (starting out smaller) so if I get bored, I can just work on a different one instead of taking a break.

The Plot

Mr. Bear is running low on funds, and decides to get a job. Unfortunately, he also lacks qualifications of any kind, so he'll have to start at the bottom and work his way up. Step 1: Cat-sitting for Old Man Jenkins.

After working through several jobs, he runs into his archnemisis, Mr. Fish! Suddenly, the stakes raise and the jobs get more difficult. Not only does Mr. Bear have to complete his own job, but he has to sabotage Mr. Fish's efforts to sabotage his own efforts.

Screens

Just so everyone knows, this is a very early demo (only one job is completely finished), but I've been progressing pretty rapidly, so it shouldn't be too long before I have lots of jobs available. I just wanted to get this out here early on in development.

So, download, play, and enjoy!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2008 10:18
Haha, I remember this. Nice.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2008 15:45 Edited at: 20th Oct 2008 16:07
I never followed the Mr. Bear WIPs because they were before I started using the forums properly.

Quote: "Luckily, this time, it will be entirely comprised of large mini-games (starting out smaller) so if I get bored, I can just work on a different one instead of taking a break."

But this particular way of making a game is a very good concept and should probably be put into practise somehow by everyone doing a WIP that they're likely to get bored of.

EDIT:
After downloading and running the game, I selected the first job and pressed enter. Then it went to a black screen so I assumed it was loading.

30 seconds to a minute later, I decided it was taking far too long so I attempted to close it.
Escape: Nothing
Ctrl+Alt+Del: A very large cursor
Alt+Tab: Nothing
Alt+D: Nothing

My computer had apparently just murdered itself so I had to restart using the power button.

Just thought I'd let you know what it did to my computer
Zak
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried and and it was quite fun. The Jenkins mini game I found was a really cool idea, although game play was a little short.

I didnt quite get the chimney one, but I understand it still in the early stages, the textures made it look like Mr Bear was walking up the building then ontop of it.

Delivery one is pretty cool too, although the idea similar to many games already available, maybe you wil add some cool elements to make it a little more interesting.

But great to get an idea of where you are heading.
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 22nd Oct 2008 03:40
... Zak, is your last name "Debar"? Your sign-up date and name are very similar to the name of my friend and a date I asked him to do some research for me...

Cheers,

-naota

I'm not a dictator to those that do stuff for me by will. Only those who don't.
Zak
Years of Service
User Offline
Haha, sorry buddy. Im not the same guy you hoped to think I am. What sorta research you doing anyway?
KYP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2008 22:28
Quote: "After downloading and running the game, I selected the first job and pressed enter. Then it went to a black screen so I assumed it was loading."

... That's never happened with me... did it only do that once, or every time you open it?

Quote: "I tried and and it was quite fun. The Jenkins mini game I found was a really cool idea, although game play was a little short.

I didnt quite get the chimney one, but I understand it still in the early stages, the textures made it look like Mr Bear was walking up the building then ontop of it.

Delivery one is pretty cool too, although the idea similar to many games already available, maybe you wil add some cool elements to make it a little more interesting."

Thanks! I'm gonna add more to the delivery one, and I made some building models which will be much better than the cubes for chimney sweep. Plus, I still have more gameplay mechanics to add to the chimney sweep one (eg, sweeping chimneys).
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2008 23:43
@ KYP
Quote: " ... That's never happened with me... did it only do that once, or every time you open it?"

I only did it once. I'm not doing that again, it nearly broke my PC. xD
Waterdrop
Years of Service
User Offline
The graphics are bad!!! You stole this game from me!!! I made this game, not you!!!

Waterdrop

I love programming
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2008 18:53
Waterdrop's post was only approved to demonstrate what will grant a nice holiday from the forums - 2 years in this case. His duplicate account is also banned.

revenant chaos
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 19:30
Quote: "The graphics are bad!!! You stole this game from me!!! I made this game, not you!!!"

If this truly was your game (which it was not), I highly doubt that your first sentence would be criticizing your own work.

Thanks BatVink!
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2008 23:52
Hm... I get a "Runtime error 58"

-> Oh, come on...
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 17:08
Yay, Mr. Bear is back! So is this going to play like warioware?

KYP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2008 04:54
Yep, it's going to be pretty similar to Warioware.

As for all the errors people seem to be getting, I'm going to put a new demo up here with the files separate from the exe and see if that fixes it. I'm also going to put up some new screens because:

* I just added a new complete job, taxi driver
* I just changed the menu system, now the mouse is a pencil and you draw a circle around the job you want to do to select it
* I just finished and updated the newspaper delivery game, complete with an animation for the beginning (like in the cat one)
* I just lengthened the old man Jenkins job, now you have to pet the cat after you feed it

Screens + demo coming soon.
KYP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 03:58
The new demo is available for download, attached to the first post. By the way, does anyone else get a really weird screen refresh problem when they're playing the taxi game? It didn't happen in the editor, so it might just be my stupid computer.
Urist McCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2008 02:26
The game idea is great! You should have a job where Mr. Bear and Mr. Fish are selling something and they have to outsell each other. How about they work at a hot dog stand, or maybe Burger King?
KYP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 04:30 Edited at: 30th Nov 2008 04:31
Thanks for the idea, GM. I turned it into a Tycoon-style job, where Mr. Bear and Mr. Fish open competing hot dog stands right next to each other. To attract customers, Mr. Bear has to create marketing campaigns and buy a fry maker.

Screen:

More updates: I've started and stopped working on several other jobs, including a meager attempt at professional skateboarding. I'm trying to come up with something that stars Mr. Owl.

P.S. Yes, I know Mr. Fish is not in that screen, but he's still in the conceptual stages and probably won't appear for a little while.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:34:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:34:12