Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Sine Worm

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2008 07:52 Edited at: 21st Oct 2008 21:36

Hey guys, I realize that I've been very sporadic with my WIP's, but just can't seem to stick to one. Plus I keep getting new assignments and then taking off with them long after I've turned them in :p

Anyways, this is a small game I call Sine Worm. It's my first project using DarkGDK! It's sort of a platformer-ish type thing. Think of a combination of Pac-man, Snake, and 'N' the flash ninja game.

You control this pulsating trail of circles, which grows every time you eat a green food item (the green circles). The goal is to get 10 food bits, which will bring you to the next level. The tricky bit is that, there are doors (the bright green rectangles), blocking your path to some of the food bits. Some of these doors can be circumvented through small cracks in the walls which you can fit through, or by teleporting to the other side of the screen (all sides of the screen wrap). However, much of the time, you actually have to open the doors.

The doors open based on the length of your tail. For example, Door 1 might open if your tail becomes longer than 3 units. However, it might Close again, when your tail reaches say, 5 units long.

Because of this mechanic, you have to sort of plan out how many bits of food you collect and which doors you go through first, lest you get trapped!

Plus there are the red squares who eat your tail if you run into them (which will close doors). In the last level (so far), there are dudes that cling to the walls and shoot pellets which do the same thing as the red squares.

The first level has a tutorial so that you can learn how to play a bit. I don't think it's overly complicated so should be fairly easy to figure out

Tell me what you think of the game! I'm thinking about updating the graphics to look nice, but not sure if I want to ruin the retro-look.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2008 17:07
Well.. the exe told me "Display not supported" and caused a windows error. However, it sounds pretty fun (btw, I love the N-Game ) and challenging. I also like the graphics quite much.. the colors are somehow.. whatever.. very un-aggressive you know. So I recommend to let the graphical scheme as it is, maybe apart from the worm which imho doesn't really fit into the levels. All in all, probably good work.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2008 21:35
Whoops! Here is a version that let's you choose your screen resolution beforehand, I knew I was forgetting something :p

The link at the top has been updated with the new file

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2008 22:02
Haha, nice idea, nice execution. Will give it a much longer go soon!

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2008 22:45
It's really fun! I really like being able to jump off walls and the double jumping. However if you're in a tight space the movement can become really frustrating as when you try to jump you hit the celing then stop moving again. But other than that it's pretty awesome!

<<---------CLICK IT

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:38:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:38:40