Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Italian Designers are the best in the world...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 21:19
Yeah i think it's true, italian designers for fashion, cars, house, dress are the best in the world.
We have: Armani, Versace, Valentino, Dolce Gabbana, Prada, Gucci, Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, and much more.
Unfortunatly, with computer games.... i can't remember one good italian company....
Free Download for a Free World
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 21:26
lol.

You been watching QVC?

Web Design Starting from $200. Special limited offer. MSN or Email me for more information.
WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
So are gay ones. I wouldn't want to be either

HOOOWWWLLL!!!
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 21:35
Quote: "Yeah i think it's true, italian designers for fashion, cars, house, dress are the best in the world"

I know many people who would say the best designers for fashion and dress are french.
The houses ? Well, there are some neat ones in italy, but their architects are surely dead some centuries ago (the new ones aren't that nice)
Cars ... Well, a Porsche wouldn't fit I suppose ? Well, yes, if you have the money for your Ferrari, buy it (Bteween the new models are not as nice as the old ones)

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 21:46
The best designers have rarely made anything, because they never discovered their talent...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 22:34 Edited at: 24th Jul 2003 22:35
Quote: " Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini"

You meen Paninfarina. Probably the worlds best car design studio (and also the name of the lead designer), and indeed he/they are Italian and designer of all these cars (not sure about Lamborghini but I think that's his work too).

However Paninfarina also designed the Citroen BX. Additionally he has never had anything what-so-ever to do with Aston Martin to my knowledge.

Therefor Italians are good, but they aren't the best.

Pneumatic Dryll
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 22:58
you'll find that as far as clothes go top designers are British(English), Italian & French (although alot of americans think they have style, i don't remember the last time i saw a multinational American fashion designer which designed outside of the public market)

as far as cars go, British(general), German & Italian... although the sweedish have been known to export some nice designs from time to time.

Software - American, British(general), German
furniture - American, French, Spanish

you could go on for ages really, but the production of the designers and thier "quoted" quality comes alot from the backgrounds of who the designers are.

American Car designers, create vehicles that the American want to driver - oftenly the size of a small house and a good foot off the ground. Something that can take a pounding.
This is why i doubt you'll ever see a beautiful car design from then, and why the Brits/Italian/Germans are so good at it. We prefer our cars to have ALOT of speed and we want them to be small enough to get through the inner city congestions.

I think the adaption of using curved designs rather than lego blocks probably helps too

point is though that you can't generalise one nation saying they're the best designers... as Italians might know a thing or two about style and flare - they haven't a clue about computer design, i mean name me a single Italian Microchip manufactre?
Or how about weapons of war, how have the best designs there?

there is no one dominant nation in this field, good designs don't always = good looks.

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 23:03
Japs are the Best (yes, qoute this one dweebs!) in Games Design/Development, no.2 ties US and UK (and the Europes), Aussies are ok, coming up fast are Korea & other new starters (online, consoles and mobiles).

i smell a flame coming..

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 00:04
'you'll find that as far as clothes go top designers are British(English), Italian & French (although alot of americans think they have style, i don't remember the last time i saw a multinational American fashion designer which designed outside of the public market)'

*ahem* Clothes are TOTALLY a matter of taste.

As for German software designers being the best-- Myself, all German games I have played have been pretty godawful, maybe they make better utility products, I don't know... on top of that, you can't even get a healthy amount of blood in your game without it being banned in Germany.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
"i don't remember the last time i saw a multinational American fashion designer which designed outside of the public market"

Yeah, who the hell is nike? and adidas? yeah you're sure right about that one raven

SW Games - www.freewebs.com/swgames

Yeah, I know, I only have one game. Yeah, I know it sucks. But I made it! Me!
Troan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 01:03
Tats a spicy meataballa!
If Marios itialian why dosnt he eat pizza instead of mushrooms?

---Troan---

Im useless, but not for long. The future is coming on.
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 01:20
you could also say ralph lauren and calvin klein but not so sure they would count.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 01:29
Quote: "Myself, all German games I have played have been pretty godawful"

i'm sure a few of the older users could list you countless german companies that developed some damn good games.
it actually amazing but Russians atm seem to be aon a good sprint when it comes to games development.

i think that STALKER game is definately a pretty good example of this. they certainly starting to show they've got claws, just wonder how the financial issues are with them developing things.

Quote: "Yeah, who the hell is nike? and adidas? yeah you're sure right about that one raven"

Adidas is german and both are PUBLIC designers.
when you talk about designers your talking about Versati, and Armarni ... i can't really remember others atm.

but unlike cK, Ralph Lauren (which remember these guys aren't actually american they just live there) like the HUGO name - they base thier clothes for the public sector.
It'd be a cold day in hell when you can walk into the Gap or something and be able to pickup a pair of Armarni Jeans for like $150

and to be honest they never set trends or designs with thier clothes, they cater for the public. So again technically not designers, just producers.

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 02:01
Hmm, best designer in the world...Hmmm...Me. J/K

Really, Clothes are a matter of taste
Software, I'd say america (we got microsoft, we got microsoft, and you dont)
Games, Japan (Shigero Miyamoto and Hideo Kojima)
Cars, I'd also go with Japan I'm a big fan of the outcasted (well in my family) Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution.

At first glance, I'm a mediocre mech pilot. Look again and you will see my battlemech's computer code rushing through my eyes. My Mech And I Are One!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 02:49
Stalker... huh... looks okay, but the screenshots aren't any better than more interesting titles like HL2, and I've seen nothing but promises about that game so far. It looks like an average FPS which is hyped to have a super-complex plot and design to me, like so many others were and are...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 02:53
one day Hideo, one day..

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 02:59
Hideo will never die. Anubis, Jehuty, Vic Viper, Neigt, the real Snake, Big Boss, Liquid Snake, Ocelot, and Metal Gear Ray will defend him!

At first glance, I'm a mediocre mech pilot. Look again and you will see my battlemech's computer code rushing through my eyes. My Mech And I Are One!
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 03:00
whoa, I just said that, didnt I?

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
no i did idiot

SW Games - www.freewebs.com/swgames

Yeah, I know, I only have one game. Yeah, I know it sucks. But I made it! Me!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 03:22
Quote: "I've seen nothing but promises about that game"

there's a video on thier site, not as long as HL2's perhaps - but the graphics especially in outdoor nature environments are just far more breath-taking than HL2.

there isn't much that could be said about the Ai, but they're using the Havok Physics Engine probably no better than Valve's use of Karma - but still, its an unknown Russian companies first game and it right up there at the level of Valve's 4th game as an independant development team (and remember Valve was originally a team on the Microsoft Games division and practically were the guys who invented DirectX 6's interface system.)

way i see it that makes them very noticeable game designers.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 04:48
'but the graphics especially in outdoor nature environments are just far more breath-taking than HL2.'

I disagree. I suppose it's a matter of opinion, they both have very high detail enviorments, but HL2 looks a lot better to me.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:47:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:47:35