Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / No disk in drive D error

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Bit of a bizzare error here. My code works perfectly on my home PC which has two hard drives (C and D). I've brought my code to work and tried it, and if I run the .exe that was built on my home PC, or if I try to rebuild the code, I get about 15 pop up messages saying that there is no disk in drive D.

My work PC only has the one hard drive, and the D drive is the optical drive. Strangely, if I put a CD in the drive, the game starts without error.

I've ripped my code apart trying to find out what's going on, and I'm none the wiser. I load all of my media from relative paths (so it says "3d\tank.x") I've removed Sparkys collision DLL and all the collision code I was using incase it was that - it wasn't. I've also deleted all the MatrixUtil DLL files (which I'm not currently using in my code but will be soon) - and it's not that.

I've even pulled out all my audio and removed the Enhanced Audio Plugin. Still no luck.

I've opened the .dbpro file in Notepad and there is nothing in there that's causing the problem.

The only thing that's worked is if I delete pretty much all of my project and just have it launch to the game menu screen.

It looks like I'm going to have to go through it bit by bit to find out what's causing the problem, but if anyone has any ideas to help me narrow it down a bit more quickly, I'm all ears!!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2008 13:55
ok, stab in the dark but you're not using drivelist or perform checklist for drives are you? any other "file" commands?

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2008 13:58
Are you sure you have checked all your media paths, is all the media in one folder with the game exe.

Have you have used 'set dir' anywhere in your code and if so weres it pointing.

Is it a sound file that you are calling?

just a few to look for, then you tick them off the list as checked.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
OK, by chucking in some text commands and wait keys, I've found out a few of my models are actually throwing this error.

This throws up 4 of the no disk in drive errors. It's odd as the models haven't changed. The model is actually the Assault Trooper model from one of the Dark Matter packs. I've just replaced the model with a fresh copy of the Assault Trooper, and I get the same. Looking at in the DM2 browser is fine though.

*scratches head*
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2008 15:35
have you renamed the copy to say ????_1.x so that you know you are loading the new copy.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Bursar
Years of Service
User Offline
Just done that and no change. After I've cancelled through all the error messages, the game plays normally.

Ah, might have just found the cause. I've loaded the model into Fragmotion, and it says:
Error loading texture: D:\DarkMATTER V2\Geo-Metricks\Model Pack\Actors\Monsters\Assault Trooper\distgrtr.bmp
Error loading texture: D:\DarkMATTER V2\Geo-Metricks\Model Pack\Actors\Monsters\Assault Trooper\cywarr.bmp

So it looks like some texture information is stored in the .x file and the system obviously can't find those files. But that directory structure and those files don't exist on my home PC either. Strange how it works correctly in the DM2 browser though.

I've re exported the model from Fragmotion and the errors have disappeared, so I'll just need to find the other affected models and it looks like it'll be back to normal

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 20:29:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 20:29:12