Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Limefly Texture Gallery News - 24-07-2003

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 00:43 Edited at: 25th Jul 2003 13:31
Limefly Texture Gallery News

First of all, I'd like to thank all the nice people who have visited my site. Thanks to the little ad in the DB newsletter, I got over 700 texture loads in a day. Nice, if your previous total was under 2000 for a month.
Also, Big thanks to those that bothered to register. Got a small userbase now, and it's nice.

here's the actual good, bad and unsorted news
- - - - - - - -

Good news:
I recently added all sorts of textures to the site (and even mouse cursor images!?), making the total texture count go up to near 200. In few days, if not in hours, this line is going to be broken, and I think it's great.

...Then to the bad ones:
As some of you might know already, I'm soon going away for a month. This is non-optional for me. Let's just say that if I wouldn't go, police would throw me into jail. that's the law around here. Gotta serve your country.
Anyways, this means that the site won't be getting the layout update it badly needs, or any other updates from me during that time. For a website with this little userbase, this usually means death.
With no new stuff, people stop checking regularily .. and soon they stop checking at all.

What is there to do?:
Well, it only takes few textures from few people, at regular intervals to keep the site up and living. I will probably (=hopefully) be able to do sort of weekly maintaining and moderating, so that isn't the problem. Problem is the new material. If you think you could share some of your work, or are already registered as "artist" to the site, please contact me.

Also, as I won't be gone until monday, I am taking especially "tileset" requests at the moment. Just send me a email or anything with the names of the two, blended-to-be textures and I'll wrap up the tileset for you.

oh yeah, when browsing the site, try rating and commenting the pictures too. Much more fun for everyone that way.

MSN & Email: lauri_suopera@msn.com
WWW: www.limefly.vze.com

Specs :: [1333Mhz : 512DDR : Radeon 9000 pro 128MB]
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 02:51
Sounds neat . This is a really nice community resource by the way and I admire your courage in setting something like this up, with the knowledge that it might either flop or have server costs shoot way up...

If Texture Maker was still working, I'd send in textures myself, but they have a tech support team from hell and I still can't fix my copy up to be registered

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 05:25
Well, first of all, I wouldn't be doing this If I actually had to Pay for the server space. that's just because I really don't have a way of paying for it, or anything else. (Read: no credit card)
So the only problem is that the server space offer might get old and you know...

Glad you liked it btw

and yes, I'm very aware how things, even good ideas, can flop Very easily.(Especially with in community like DB) And the start wasn't all that bright either. I started thinking about this about two years ago...so. Guess it takes a little time and some serverspace plus the right scripts.
Traffic isn't all that amazing usually, but at least there is something. And I'm happy for that. This was my dream (not The dream, but one of the many), and eventhough the site is buggy and the layout sucks, I'm still quite satisfied the way it turned up.

and Good luck with the Texture Maker stuff.
(so, there's a demo of that? Maybe I should check it out... there were at least one really goodlooking feature)

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 05:31
Yes there's a good demo ... but I registered, and lost my HD, and now they refuse to send me the utility to unlock my copy again . I don't even want a new key or anything, I've got that... really annoying...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 05:35
Maybe you could ask for that utility from someone else who has registered the proggy? (just a thought)

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 05:37
Good idea... now I must find someone who has it .

Thanks.

I did actually make some semi-decent textures with it that weren't the usual type (I mean, the stuff everyone makes when they're learning, equivilant to a massive lens flare in paint shop pro), I liked them quite a bit. And I was larning the scripting language too.

Some day .

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 06:28
Hey lassix - Ive seen your work elsewhere - very very nice More people like you around here is def. a plus

Cheers

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Porting all files to my new computer
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 06:44
Oh, you're Lassix! Never made the connection... of course... hah, good to see you man . I remember you from the old forum days.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2003 13:02
lol. I thought the name was pretty obvious.
(just that I got a lot of complaints about the "x"-innit, so I decide to change it)

thing is, don't hang around here much so nobody prolly makes the connection that way.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:45:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:45:48