Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / FPSC X10 - Advance Segment Creation Tutorial

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 19:38 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2008 19:39
I have noticed a lot of people are making good use of the Texture tutorial created by Nomad Soul.

I am considering doing a more complex segment tutorial that covers a great deal more then just the creating and applying textures to segments..

I think it would help people have a better understanding of how far you can go with segments and the Meshes/textures that make then up.

If you guys are interested in a slightly more advanced segment and texture tutorial let me know..

Squalker

PS here an example of a segment I am working on right now...
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 22:08
An advanced tutorial would certainly go great in the X10 Guide (as long as it's in Word format).

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2008 23:29
H E (Double Hockey Sticks) Yeah!!!!

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth" -- Mike Tyson
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
A segment tutorial would be most welcome

H.K.
seth zer0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 06:43
That would be sweet.
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2008 13:53
Ok guys I will update this thread with the progress of the tutorial. Should have it ready in a couple of weeks.
rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
(-; Great
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2008 02:14
Good stuff. It's all about segment texturing in FPSC X10 if you want to make something that really puts X9 in it's place.
David Carson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 12:37
Sooo... is it made yet?

Halo 1 was revolutionary, Halo 2 was revolutionary, Halo 3 was... a mixture of Halo 1 and 2. Nothing new.
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2009 17:01
Sorry about this one guys I got tied up with a bunch of other stuff and haven't had a chance to get back to writing this one... I will post once I have started back to work on this again..

Squalker
Avalonze
Years of Service
User Offline
Please also mentiom which programs you use and all the other stuff we need to know

Aero Files offers you high quality assets in the FPS Creatore store. Go there now.
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2009 13:52
Well there isn’t any thing like advance segment creation. There is only custom segment creation. Advance segment creation is some thing FPSC or X10 can’t do at this stage.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not shooting down your idea or tutorial I’m just pointing out the limited segment creation that can be achieved by the engine. Collision detection is not the best and high poly segments are completely out of the question as segments but fair much better as entities.

Currently the engine does not support multiple textures per entity and requires to be mapped which can have a negative on visual appearance a mapped 512x512 texture having to share 3 or more texture having to be scaled to fit every thing into one texture doesn’t look at all the great some times.

Using segments and entities together the segment works well adding more than one entity to a segment problems start to arise and the second entity is displaced within the game it self. If the entities your using are static then there is a work around importing the second or third entity separate from the original segment and adding it later to the segment within the editor dynamic and static entities don’t work well either.

So placing a dynamic entity say a vent grate within a segment is fine but adding the vent grate after words with in the editor the vent grate will abide the physics laws of the engine and will fall over or disappear completely or bounce up and down so then you would have to disable physics laws for it ect.

The engine doesn’t like high poly odd shaped object like rocks for example your likely to get crash errors or it won’t render.

Low poly odd shape objects have little or no problems.

The other problem with custom segments, is having to chuck out all other segments as it doesn’t always fit in with the stock content.

The other thing I hate is having no control over how a segment looks when using inverted polygons so making a hill with a plane with the bottom part being inverted the player either gets stuck or worse entities are stuck half way.

Advance segment creation? I would rather refer to custom segment creation.

In future we might see some improvement to the current mesh system for improved segments to allow more complex segments.

What I also want to point out is that advance segment creation is not completely out of the question but the time and end result might not be worth it for a beginner.

Pointless Assault video
http://w13.easy-share.com/1408971.html
Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
2 things,

The physics of dynamic entities can be turned off, so at least you can have floating dynamic objects...

...but then they can still move if two are touching each other and the results are weird. Which is a problem, given the fact that certain effects (relief mapping) only work on dynamic entities.

To make segments, all you have to do is follow Nomad's texturing guide and then re-skin an existing segment (by copying an existing .fpe). And if you want a custom mesh for a wall or floor or whatever, just replace the .x file with your custom one. The farthest one can go into "advanced" segment making is adding decorative stuff like pipes and stuff like that, but outside of that I don't see too much that can be done...
(I'm not saying this tutorial shouldn't be made, just pointing out the facts)

A picture says a thousand words.
-- H.K. --
http://www.fpscx10-online.com/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 03:30:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 03:30:08