Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Planetoid engine [DarkGDK]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 12:45 Edited at: 24th Nov 2008 18:36
Planetoid Engine

This is a wip of a game engine I'm making as part of a school project. This engine has physics similar to super mario galaxy; featuring small planetoids with their own gravitation. Some of you may remember this project when I started it in DBP, I didn't work on it for quite long though.

Early this fall, I began converting almost all code to c++ using DarkGDK. I now have a fully working engine set up with classes and a lot of other stuff that just makes everything so much simpler. This engine is planned to be used in some sort of multiplayer shooter. Demo is not available at the moment.

Screenshots:

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vply0HQLI8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cETn7rFEhz8

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 12:57 Edited at: 27th Oct 2008 12:57
As I've subscribed to you on YT I've already seen the video. *Feels special for no apparent reason.*
But yeah that looks very awesome, very super mario galaxy'ish.

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 15:02
That's pretty cool, though I think the FOV is a little low. Of course, that might just be because you may have to do that to use the bloom shader. Still, very nice!

JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 16:49
This looks quite nice! I'm very impressed!

Quote: "This engine is planned to be used in some sort of multiplayer shooter"

Just thinking about it... I think that is an AWESOME idea. That would create a rather interesting world... or galaxy, to battle in.

IntelCore2Duo@2.60GHz-4GB RAM-NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M-Windows Vista Business 32bit
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2008 17:50
Looking very awesome, zzz! I wish all the best to you with this project!

Peachy, and the Chaos of the Gems

Mew151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2008 04:59
Hey, if you want to, can you give me the code for that? I want to make my own solar system game thing....

ow! that hurt!
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2008 20:36
The perspective is a little weird, but it's a very cool physics demo.

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 03:56
Interesting, I've been wanting for quite a while to make an RTS that uses a globe as the map. Is your code assuming that the surface of the planet is smooth or can it handle mountains and valleys in the sphere?

Nice job

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 12:54
@Mew151:
Sorry, no codez.

@KISTech:
Yeah, I quickly implemented the bloom effect from the ultimate shader pack. I haven't changed the FOV since then...

@Phosphoer:
Right now, if I added a hill on that sphere it would feel like you walked on a non-sloping terrain as soon as you began walking on the hill. I don't think it would be a major problem to only add wall collision on the hill though.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 18:35
[bump]
I've got some work done on the engine, and I've uploaded a new vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cETn7rFEhz8.
It's really simple to create weapons for this engine, even though I have no scripting system up and running yet.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2008 02:48 Edited at: 25th Nov 2008 21:53
When you shoot the rocket up a hill, it should crash into the hill, not be pushed away from it, it should only stay away from it in orbit. Your using the surface normals of the object right? I was reading an article on Super Mario Galaxy not to long ago.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2008 16:55
Looks outstanding.

Quote: "Sorry, no codez."

Could you please post, at least, the link to the old DBPro thread, so we can understand which technique are you using? ( I cannot find it at this moment, thanks )
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2008 18:42
You're just pretty awesome at this, aren't you? I agree about the Weapons being affected by slope, in fact I think it would be pretty important for all the objects to be affected like that. And I also agree with the mention of hills, but it sounds like you can handle that pretty well.

There are a ton of improvements since your last show of this, it's looking pretty good.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2008 01:27
Quote: "the link to the old DBPro thread"

I'm sorry, but I never made a thread on the DBP project.

I haven't made much visible changes since the last post. But here's a screenie of another weapon:

I'm learning RAKnet right now, in order to add some multiplayer functionality into this game. But I doubt I'll have that part done before christmas though. During my christmas break I'm going to try and get some work done on soulhunter.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2008 14:00
Can you send the man into orbit?

Looking cool!

TheComet

Peachy, and the Chaos of the Gems

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:35:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:35:23