Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Game Media?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone,

I was looking in a games folder, and noticed that the sounds they've used are in RAW format, their video's are in SMK and RAW formats etc. When I try making a test game in DarkBasic, the media I use is in AVI, MP3 etc. So I was wondering, what is a RAW / SMK file, and how can I use them in DarkBasic, and why use them?

Thanks everyone.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 20:38
I don't know about SMK, but I guess it could be the video equal to the RAW, based on your description.

RAW is anyways raw data (the extension can be used for several things, but what I've seen most of is for audio).
It is basically only the essential data, without any "inneccessary" things such as notes, labels, etc. extra data.
For a RAW audio file, it is the sample data, and does not contain the RIFF header or (as I recall) the settings for the audio file, which must be known beforehand in order to actually play back the file.

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"
BlobVanDam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2008 22:38
SMK is a video format/codec used mainly by older games I think. I'm pretty sure the old Jedi Knight used it for its cutscenes. I think it's a fairly ancient format now.
Like Rudolpho said, RAW format is is just the raw audio data, without any extra data. I don't think it even stores the sample rate etc within the file. It wouldn't give you any benefits over pcm wav format, so no point using it.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2008 13:05 Edited at: 30th Oct 2008 13:06
smk = smacker video = old (8 bit) video compression format from RAD Game Tools (think Bink). like BVD stated, it was used on many old games (once i found the extractor, i went back and browsed all my old games to see the cut-scenes again ).

to answer your question, i don't think anyone would use smacker today since it's 256-color-limited and there are many better formats available.

and, yah, RAW can be anything. images/sound/video/compressed/uncompressed, you name it.

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 22:25:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 22:25:04