Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / ARGH! Any C/C++ers?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.allegro.cc/forums/view_thread.php?_id=286173&request=1059192841&

I'm having problems with my current game, and ppl at that thread don't seem to be quite helpful..(at the time of this post lol)...Could anybody who knows a great deal about C/C++ lend me a hand their? My problem is explained thouroughly.
~Morph/Kanzure
CodeNation
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2003 08:55
... i'd say something but i'm not sure you'd want to hear it
i would tell you the exact problem, cept it already has been told and you didn't listen on thier forums.

personally i'd say you don't really have a clue what your trying to achieve or a way to go about it - because you're certainly as hell not doing it like you would in DBP.
just because languages seem different doesn't mean you should automatically try some fancy new technique you don't understand
i'll suggest you think about how you would do it more basically in DBP and THEN get back to you C++ version.

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "just because languages seem different doesn't mean you should automatically try some fancy new technique you don't understand "

Its fancy? Eh, I wanted to do pixel collision to make the game seem more realistic, and some guy previously helped me to make a better system. And yes, I know what I'm doing. I just don't use DarkBASIC because to myself it seems like cheating. I'm using some other persons work just to make mine easier....eh..such as RPG Maker...who uses that? Ppl who don't know really how to do anything. DarkBASIC - same thing, cept for 3D stuff I use it...

~Morph/Kanzure
CodeNation
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2003 21:39
Nobody uses RPG Maker 'cuz it can't make crap .

C++ is just the same. If you don't like using other peoples' work, code in ASM, or just use a hex editor, or better yet invent your own computer to work on because after all you are relying on somebody else's computer.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I know C/C++ was made by somebody else..but, its pretty much the industry standard so I'm alright with it. But don't go replying about what if RM2k was the industry standard....*shivers*

~Morph/Kanzure
CodeNation
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 01:10
:: sighs :: i'm not saying use DB... i'm saying why the hell did you change your programming mindset because your using C?

i mean in DB would you honestly have a calculation like

pos = x * 32 * y * 32 * z

i mean first of all your trying to get the position in pixels which is ...

pixel.x = ( x*32 )
pixel.y = ( y*32 )

the X and Y are tread differently

secondly why are all your positions in a single string?

map->bitmask[pos] should be map->bitmask[pixel.x,pixel.y]

i mean your just making everything harder for yourself - just think about how your actually programming man.

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 01:51 Edited at: 27th Jul 2003 01:52
Quote: "map->bitmask[pos] should be map->bitmask[pixel.x,pixel.y]

i mean your just making everything harder for yourself - just think about how your actually programming man."

The reason I did that was because...wait... I didn't do that ^_^. In a previous thread about 2 weeks ago some guy helped me out and used that method...so I sticked to it. It seemed good...heh.

[EDIT] Also its all in a single string for easier saving to files

~Morph/Kanzure
CodeNation
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 04:42
technically its still in a single string
all you have to do is count off like

or something like that anyways ... i've still not really got the hang of exporting data into a physical format from C++

Ocean Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 04:46
I know some basic C. I use TurboC.

JetRace coming. Watch out!
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I know some basic C. I use TurboC.
"

Uhh..cangratulations? o_O

~Morph/Kanzure
CodeNation

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:51:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:51:40