Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 3D Tetris: Demo Attached, need help making controls user-friendly

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2008 16:41 Edited at: 4th Nov 2008 16:48
Hi guys, i've been working on a 3D version of tetris. As is to be expected the controls and camera have been hard work. I'm quite pleased with my current results however, and was hoping to see what other people were thinking.

Controls:
-Arrowkeys - Move Block
-AD - Rotate block around Y-axis
-WS - Rotate block around X-axis
-QE - Rotate block around Z-axis
-Spacekey - Harddrop block
-Controlkey - Softdrop block

Fps is only low because this computer doesnt have a graphics card so was running the shadows from the cpu.

If you could test it and let me know what you think that would be great.

I am most interested in:
-The controls, are the comfortable and easy to get used to?
-The camera, does it move to a spot where you feel it gives the best possible view of the game board.
-Anything else that would improve the visiblity of the game board, so blocks don't get hidden behind others. I was thinking a 2nd topdown camera would be useful?

Let me know what you think!

Thanks

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Xlaydos
Years of Service
User Offline
Screenie attachment post

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
You could try multiple stationary cameras from different angles. For example: front, side, and top views. And as for the controls, they make sense but don't work out well ingame. It's too hard to rotate the block to the correct angle while under pressure. Your game wont be as easy to jump into as the original Tetris.

I'm looking forward to trying your next update, and seeing how you manage to make the controls more user-friendly.

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2008 10:13
Here's an idea; I can't play it on these iMacs, but if you haven't done it already, make lines extend downwards from the shape so it's easier to see where it's going.

Should I continue coding or focus on my art? Vote here:
http://www.polldaddy.com/p/953461/
NeX, the creator of a billion failed projects.
Xlaydos
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the comments Jimpo.

Nex i have a ghosted outline of the shape positioned where it will fall, is that what you meant?

More comments welcome!
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2008 00:11
@ Xlaydos
This isn't to help with your controls, more a general pointer but I'd suggest ghosting, or alpha mapping the blocks so you can see ones behind them. That way when you have a lot at the front of the board obstructing the camera's view, you can still place blocks accurately at the back of the board.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2008 03:34
I can see how this would be very easy to lose track of where you have gaps under the blocks.

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Those who live in the moment... only they, are truly happy.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:28:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:28:21