Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hello, .X Models are Loading, but their textures are all messed up (ScreenShots included)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, my first of many posts here..
I just want to thank the creators of DB for making such a versatile and easy tool, and all the people involved in managing it, and these forums! Great job guys!

So my problem is this.
I have made a model of a fireplace in 3D Studio. Converted the whole works into editable meshes, I UVW wrapped everthing for the textures, I have also tried collapsing the stacks of everything after doing all of this.. But either way, when I export it as an .X file using Panda X and try to load it into a sample DBP program that is just intended as a model viewer It definitely doesn't show up as intended..

Here is what the model looks like rendered in 3D studio

and here is how it shows up in my little DBP viewer

As you can see it definitely doesn't look good..

I assumed(and that might be my downfall) that DBP would load all the maps and texuring from 3D studio, so my program consists basically of 3 lines

set window on
load object "fireplace.X",1
suspend for key

Now, as it stands that .X file is basically a bunch of seperate peices of geometry that have been textured individually..
As I got to the end of this post, I thought maybe I need to turn it into one BIG solid mesh, try my damndest to texture it and then UV unwrap it, save the texture and then texture it in DBP..

but that is just a shot in the dark..

If anyone has any suggestions or answers I would be very grateful..

Thanks in advance
Unconnected
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm, well I have tried to texture it, with just a simple texture with these two lines of code

load image "Parquet.bmp",1
texture object 1,1 : scale object texture 1,2,1

however it just basically loads up all black.

Are there certain restrictions on textures that I dont' know about? Because these are the ones that PAnda X exported with the .X file itself..

also tried turning the whole thing into one editable mesh, which didn't work either..

simontay
Years of Service
User Offline
this might bright the place up

SET AMBIENT LIGHT 100

and also on the object
SET OBJECT Object Number, Wire, Transparent, Cull, Filter,light,fog
SET OBJECT number?,1,1,1,0,1

so the texture blends with rest.
hope this helps if not then it was worth a try!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2003 18:37
also make sure you have the textures for the model in the project folder, an X model takes it`s data from the texture bitmaps, the textures are not included in the model, so in the project folder you would have something like

fireplace.x
wood.bmp
granite.bmp
metal.bmp
knifehandle.bmp
etc (or whatever your texture names are)

if you have included the textures in the project folder (you don`t need to load them, they just need to be there for the x model to find) then you might try turning the ambient up to 100 (as was mentioned by simontay), the ambient light level is rather low, I don`t know why they have the default so dark, I would have thought 100 as the default was more obvious, but as long as you know it does this, cheers.

Mentor.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2003 18:53
Also try loading your texture files

Load Object "knife.x",1
Load image "knifetexture.bmp",1
Texture object 1,1

RPGamer

Current Project: Eternal Destiny
Porting all files to my new computer
Attreid
Years of Service
User Offline
you may try this :

will the 3ds format work with the patch 5 ?

"He will come...the voice from the outer world,
bringing the holy war, the Jihad, which will cleanse the Universe and bring us out of darkness."
ifman1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 07:29 Edited at: 27th Jul 2003 07:32
I had a problem similar to this once... where I would set the model up in 3D studio, then when I exported it it would come out all muddy looking. I wasn't setting the UV coordinates in 3D Studio. I don't know how Panda X works, but my unassigned UV map models looked like your second pic. Nice looking fireplace by the way.

Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 12:26
Panda did the same exact effect to me as well (black models in DBP)
i succeeded by exporting to 3ds and converting to X
go here and get winconv3ds.zip:

http://www.3drad.com/links.htm
cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 17:33:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 17:33:59