Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Engine question?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't mean to sound like a n00b but what exactly is an "ENGINE"? My guess has always been its the program that runs an editor's files. Am i right wrong close?? Please help!
Gone Fishing!
members.aol.com/Erik9081/gonefishing.zip
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2003 18:28
An engine is the basic code that makes the game work. You add details, story, characters, etc. later.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2003 20:12
The editors files are not "run" under DBPro. A program called the "compiler" takes the editor's files and converts them into machine code (a series of 0s and 1s), which the computer can then run.

The engine, is the 3D DLL which is built into all DarkBASIC programs which handles the movement of 3D objects, and the drawing of the 3D scene. When you call SYNC for example, the engine sorts out which objects are to be drawn, what textures each object has, what special FX have been applied, and instructs the 3D card to draw the scene.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2003 20:29
Another example of what it is-- many games use the Unreal engine to render 3d objects and handle textures, etc, but the games are very different; take America's Army, Wheel of Time, and Thief III, all of which are very different games on the surface but use similar core technology to handle the very complex stuff.

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Doublecrosser
Years of Service
User Offline
i kinda get it thanks

Gone Fishing!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 05:15
"a game engine is the base element which strings all aspects of a game into a single package which can then be used to create your title."

that was said at SIGGRAPH back in '96 when someone first asked why DirectX was an API and not an engine, because at the time it did appear alot like an engine.

Generally the setup goes

Game Content -> GameEngine -> Audio Engine -> Audio APi
.......................... -> Graphics Engine -> Graphics APi
.......................... -> Input Engine -> Input APi
.......................... -> Network Engine -> Network APi

if you follow sports at all, you could think of the seperate part ofs the engine as the players ... the GameEngine itself would be the coach/manager on the sidelines telling them what to do and where to play, in order for them to score the game content properly
the APi itself would therefor be the skill they have to accomplish the said tasks

Doublecrosser
Years of Service
User Offline
ok i got what it is now thanks raven

Gone Fishing!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:40:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:40:06