Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Noob feedback needed.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

For as long as I can remember I have been interested in computer games. Recently I have been thinking about an old program I used to have called Click and Create and how much fun I had using it. I downloaded a newer version of it and felt like it was just exactly the same as the previous version, with a more complicated layout.

That’s when I started searching for a new solution.

I ended up finding this website and I am very confused as to all the methods of creating games. I would appreciate any feedback about where the best starting point would be for someone with almost no knowledge of making games.

To be honest, up until now, I never knew there were tools like this out there. So this is all very exciting to me.

Swish Swoop.
Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 11:23
Hi ApeManHop,

Welcome to the forum.

I've always loved games, and always wanted to make my own. I found DarkBASIC in 2002, and then got DBPro in 2003; used it ever since as my hobby.

I had always wanted to write game programs so DarkBASIC Pro was just up my alley. If you know how to program, or want to learn how to program games, then check out DarkBASIC or DBPro as my recommendation.

If you would rather spend time designing games, then I suggest looking into tools like FPS Creator or Realm Crafter. Who doesn't want to create their very own MMORPG?

I love DBPro, but now I'm putting my C++ knowledge to use and writing simple games for DarkGDK.

But as always if I run into difficulties, or have other-than obvious questions, I come to this forum first.

Cheers,
Pillarofire
Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 11:43
If you have ever touched BASIC programming, then I would say DarkBasic would be a good choice, but if you have never coded anything, you may want to start with something a little less ambitious. A good way to get your feet wet in game making is with a program called "Game Maker" at yoyogames.com. Its very simple. You dont even need to program for most things... unless you want to, and as you advance you can always move on to more complex tools such as DarkBasic when you feel more comfortable. Good luck, and welcome aboard!

"They say beer will make me dumb / It are go good with pizza" - Psychostick
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 13:02 Edited at: 11th Nov 2008 18:01
ApeManHop,

I recommend you try downloading the DarkBASIC Pro trial version and having a play around with some of the commands to see what you can make. If you're comfortable with the software and find it well-suited to your personal needs for game development, then go ahead and buy it, and start off with a few simple, easy 2D projects such as Pong, Breakout, or maybe even a simple platformer. Once you get the basics down, try making more complex programs.

If you don't find DarkBASIC Pro well-suited to your needs, or cannot be bothered to learn a new programming language, then I suggest looking at one of the other game creation programs such as RealmCrafter or FPS Creator; preferrably something which requires little programming if you cannot be bothered to learn DBPro. However, be forewarned that DBPro is a powerful engine, and is capable of meeting most game development needs.

If you find yourself unable to find anything suited to your needs, then let me recommend the list I use for game creation resources:

http://www.ambrosine.com/resource.html

...At least, I THINK that's the loooong list of a bunch of game development tools and even a few resources near the end, such as textures and music. I can't really check since I'm on a school computer right now, and it's blocked. But I'll check it when I get home and, if not, I'll find the actual list and post it.

EDIT: Aye, I checked the link -- it's right.

Good luck,

Tom

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 22:31:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 22:31:53