Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Keeping Source code safe

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a quick question,

What do you used to keep your source code safe automatically, are people using svn, or just creating backups. If you are using svn, what programs do you use to interface with the svn server?

I ask this, as I am looking to start a major coding product and want to keep my source code safe from deletion and something that stores version changes automatically.

Thanks

Cos it is!!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2008 21:40
My main code is kept under CVS (I use Tortoise CVS) on a local filesystem repository and backed up nightly. The codebase is many years old now, but one day I might get around to migrating it to SVN, using Tortoise SVN.

That's what I suggest for you - install Tortoise SVN, and if you want online storage, register with http://www.xp-dev.com. I'd also suggest you keep your own backups too - maybe zip up your repositories and email it to yourself at a gmail account.

Peter Pan
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the quick reply I am going to have a look at toroise SVN, I have now setup VisualSYN server for the repositories.

Thanks

Cos it is!!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 20:17
Quote: "I have now setup VisualSYN server for the repositories"

Don't forget that only makes it safe if you are backing it up onto other media. Otherwise, it's just version management with no safety net. I have signed up to xp-dev mentioned by IanM. They are new, but I've been getting a decent service.

Peter Pan
Years of Service
User Offline
I had a look at xp-dev and looks interesting, do you know if it is possible to have svn server to svn server, so I could use xp-dev as my offsite backup?

Cos it is!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 22:31:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 22:31:53