Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Is dark basic pro really good enough to make good projects

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I know this has been asked a couple times but im just not seeing any power for some reason..Is it really good enough to make a "huge" not like a triple aaa game but still a decent game..All the games i've seen are usually just demos or not really showing alot on the screen at once..Im really interested in buying but i just dont know.:\
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2003 22:22
The reason your not seeing much AAA stuff yet is because it's new and people have not really had long enough to create stuff yet as it has not been out for that much time, dark basic can pretty much do whatever you want though with the right amount of time and effort!

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2003 23:12
The reason there are no "decent" games is because

a) Most people don't have the time to write them

b) Most people don't want to spend ages working on a project (ie. 6 months)

c) Even with DarkBASIC Pro, there is skill involved.

If you are happy to supply time and are patient, of course you can make something "decent".

Attreid
Years of Service
User Offline
you don't ask the good question
the good question should be "Am I good enough ?"

"He will come...the voice from the outer world,
bringing the holy war, the Jihad, which will cleanse the Universe and bring us out of darkness."
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2003 23:50
it seems that someone can accomplish rather good stuff (this for instance: http://www.victory-road.co.uk/)
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2003 23:50
yeah, the reason why you arnt seeing aaa games is because there are no aaa programmers using db (there are exceptions, but they dont tend to sped long on projects. an example is lee bamber, but hes more busy acually making db lol)

...::::ShockForge::::...
Angeleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Rob & ICF are right........ Dark Basic can do almost whatever you want it to, if you put the effort in to it.

Our game, (even tho its being re-worked right now), is a commercial game, and then there is that great flight space sim game too......Er...Sorry....I forgot the name of it!!

But HEY...... Give Dark Basic a try. We looked at all the others before we picked Dark Basic, and it is about the best out there for the money.

Ta ta for now
Mary

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 00:09
answer : yes
when : wait a year or so

depends what you call AAA games though, mine never would be (they suck graphicaly) but I just do this for fun, the people who wrote StarWraith are making the next version in Pro as we speak, so just wait for some of the more serious coders like them to get something made, even full programming houses take years to make games, one guy in the spare room (or a few mates on the net)take a little longer.

Mentor.

Arch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 00:22 Edited at: 27th Jul 2003 00:25
Thanks for the replys but you all seem to missread my post. I didnt say i wanted to see AAA games or make one. That would be asking to much. I was just asking whether it was good enough to make a decent game with more than a couple objects on the screen at one time.(which is what i've seen so far)..Also triple AAA games to me are games with cunning edge graphics for the time(which i ususually dont care about at all)..to me i just want to make a decent game with decent graphics, but really good gameplay and other aspects.

Dark Editor
Years of Service
User Offline
Well if your looking for great graphics, and a lot of them, i think dark basic pro will do the job. If you put in lots of work with DB, you can accomplish anything, including your "cunning edge graphics", Try downloading the demo for Dark Basic Proffesional at
www.darkbasicpro.com (if you didnt know that)
Mason

BTW: Here is an example of a great commercial game with darkbasic, im not sure if he used pro or classic though.

http://starwraith3dgames.home.att.net/index.htm

Drugs kill dreams, well actually, drugs kill you...
Arch
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes i've tried out star wraith. Great game and fast on my old comp. a p3 450 mhz voodoo3. Again i havnt been clear. Its not so much to make a game but I at least want the min specs to be 500mhz. It wouldnt be to much stuff. A nice hud and good sized matrix's or maps and several characters on screen at once. Possibly 5 or more. Could Dbpro really handle this because I know classic once you got more than 3 models on the screen you were screwed..Thats why im really interested in how that guy managed to do the star wraith game in Db and make it run so good on low spec machines. Its amazing.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 02:56
Quote: "it seems that someone can accomplish rather good stuff (this for instance: http://www.victory-road.co.uk/)"

that was coded in DB not DBP ... so were the Star Wraiths - so you can't really say.

i'd say wait until after SyncOn2003 - there should be some good tech demo's and game demo's shown there which Hubdule will no doubt put up as show highlights

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 04:49
hope you dont mind me asking, but what is SyncOn2003?

At first glance, I'm a mediocre mech pilot. Look again and you will see my battlemech's computer code rushing through my eyes. My Mech And I Are One!
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 14:39
NWC Omega:Syncon is a german DB convention.
Arch: my reply said the next StarWraith was to be made in Pro, the originals where made in classic, which is slower, how many objects do you see on screen in StarWraith?, more than four or five methinks, in Pro I have had RTS games that have 500 units at once running around the screen at 40fps with pathfinding and AI working, that should be enough for most purposes.

Mentor.

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 15:35
Does anyone remember the name of that Command and Conquer style strategy game that was made in DBC, (maybe about a year ago now).

Iv'e forgot what it's called, but it was very sweet. Arch, if you saw this game it'd make you change your perspective on DBC straight away

Just to help others remember: You made money through oil wells, and the AI used to attack you before you got a chance of attacking it
I really want that game now, lol.

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 16:59
Dark Konflict
http://gofree.indigo.ie/~xtom/dk.htm

Ohh, this is one helluva ace game. I just went on a skirmish and won with 10000 credits left over

I think its safe to say this is the best DarkBASIC game iv'e ever seen (made in DB-Classic too ). I think it's also safe to say it's better than Command & Conquer.

Download, you will not be dissapointed.

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2003 01:37
think they are still developing it too.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2003 06:19 Edited at: 28th Jul 2003 06:19
@AngelEyes
When's the site gonna be updated? Sorry to sound nosy, but I find myself checking the website everyday, lol.

@Arch
You can make great games with DBP. Like everyone has been saying, time and effort will make the game. And if you ever get stuck, just come to the forums to ask for help.(make sure you follow the rules though ) In my opionion, dbp can make decent games that you could compare to those you find at your local software dealer store. Only thing is, many great projects just don't get finished.

@all
Yes darkconflict is a very good example of db, though like you said, it was made like a year ago, and is still in development.

Yellow:Wanna publish my game microsoft, cuz i no u rich so...Can I have my bag of money now?
Microsoft: *snicker* Tip of the month-Microsoft will never(probebly) publish your game.
Ralen
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't think of DBPro as one of those programs where you just drag and drop stuff on the screen and it makes your game.

DBPro is a wrapper of sorts. It makes it easier for you to interface with DirectX. It does all of the behind the scenes tasks. Like opening the DX API and such.

Considering the fact that you can use external DLLs you should be be able to make a game according to your knowledge level.

R2D2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 04:24 Edited at: 5th Aug 2003 02:40

keeblerElf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 04:28
Sure you could do that in DB...looks like it could be made with a sphere, a matrix, and some texture

Live life and play video games
R2D2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2003 04:30 Edited at: 5th Aug 2003 02:37

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 17:40:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 17:40:45