Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Trouble Importing Custom Characters

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am having trouble importing custom characters into x10. I made the normal and specular maps the same way I make them for segments. For some reason though the texture never shows up on the character. When I apply a shader, it is invisible and when there is no shaders, only the mesh shows up. I tried putting them in the scifi folder and my own folder, but neither worked. I have tried putting the texture in the same folder, linking it to another folder, and even leaving the texture field blank but nothing works.

Thanks,
game freak16

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2008 22:52
Hi dude

FPSC X10 requires you to use a single texture for dynamic entities and your texture must be in .dds format as FPSC X10 won't convert other formats for you.

When importing custom characters into FPSC X10 I always create a single folder and place all associated files for them inside.

In the characters .fpe ensure you have the following in visual info when using normal and specular maps

textured = nameoftexture_D.dds
effect = effectbank\bumpbone\bumpbone.fx

Providing you've saved your diffuse, normal and specular maps as per our texture tutorial you should see the effect when the character comes into contact with lights.

Remember to locate 'Documents/FPSC X10 Files/binfiles' and delete the .bin and .dbo for your character if they appeared invisible first time around otherwise they will always be invisible even after you've made changes.
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
I still am having no luck. I even recreated every texture following the tutorial closely because I thought I could have made a mistake. I dleted the bin files after every change I made. The character shows up invisible now even when bumpbone.fx is not applied. I have no clue why it is not working.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 00:41
Email the files to me and I'll take a look.
game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
alright

Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2008 23:02
Usually when something is invisible it's just because FPSC can't find the texture. Check the directory structure in the FPE, and make sure to delete any dbo files. I've had trouble with that when working on characters. To be safe, I just make a new directory and put my new version there. That way I know fpsc will recompile it.

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth" -- Mike Tyson
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 04:20
Game freak16

I've fixed your files now and sent you an email with X10 screenshot.

I'll send you a zip with the corrected files in the morning as I'm having trouble uploading with this PC and need to use my other one.

Don't forget to delete your existing .bin and .dbo files in 'Documents/FPSC X10 Files/binfiles' before importing the new version.
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 06:05
What did you fix?

Do share!

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 23:54
Game freak16

I've just emailed you the updated files so you can get him into FPSC X10 now. Just extract the folder and place into your FPSC X10 entities folder somewhere.

Don't forget to delete any existing .bin and .dbo files for this character before importing the new version.

Uthink

Game freak16 wanted to use a Bandit character released on the forums in FPSC X10 but the texture didn't show up.

I looked at the files he sent me and there wasn't much wrong with them except there was .tga and not .dds in the .fpe texture reference which I've found to be a problem and the .X file had a different filename to the actual texture used.

Interestingly after changing these references the character still appeared with a solid black texture even after I removed his normal and specular maps and .fpe fx reference.

In the end I re made the .X file so I could check everything had been exported correctly and it worked out just fine. FPSC X10 is a bit picky about allowing things to be used with its instancing technology so I tend to check through the entire process.

Screenshot of his updated FPSC X10 version attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2008 02:33
Good info to know for future reference.

game freak16
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Nomad Soul.
So there was nothing wrong with the textures after all.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2008 00:32
Nope. Your normal and specular maps worked a treat.

Glad to see your really getting into this and taking advantage of the improved shaders in FPSC X10.
rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow those look great... i' ve made many segments but they still won' t show up in X10 specular...normal evereything..... I just don' t know what i do wrong

IV

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 05:41:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 05:41:20