Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / not quite a newby, but still want advice from the start of an idea

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok,

Here goes, I`m working on a robot that will have a possible 100 servos / motors, and some other systems ( Lights, displays speakers & mics )

SO, I wanna be able to control all these within a language I `kinda` know.

A few things I need to know :

1 : Can DBp easily talk to the outside world, via RS232, Parrallel, USB or Lan.

2 : I can wire multi servo controllers into a PC ( well I know its possible ), but could I get DBp to give and recieve data to them ?

3 : As there are so many systems within the robot, ( about 40 servos/motors/lights/sensors ) in the head alone, I was thinking of having a mini PC for each of the : Head, Arms & the rest of the body. So with 3 mini Pcs running they own setup of the program ( depending on their function ) : Is this -> the correct idea ? ->

3mini Pcs, and a fourth one to act like a server. Could I get DB to do that ? so I have 4 programs running, ( 3 system control clients + 1 system control server ) all running DBP?

Would that be better than a single PC? If I use a single PC, can I run more than one DBP program at a time?

If you have any questions eitehr post here, to email me - catty_sim@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks

Simon
wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
First let me say, that seem a very ambitous project for someone who has not got a computer to talk to one servo yet. I work on robotic vehicles for a living and don't have hundreds of servos/motors.

Now to your questions.
1. Most certainly
2. Yes, there are several dlls for servo control.
3. You do not need several computers. You control servos/motors with a PWM device.
There are several robotic spots on the web (google them). Most use "Basic Stamp" which is easily converted for use with DBP.
simonuk74
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 18:23 Edited at: 11th Nov 2008 18:31
ok thanks for that!

To give you an idea...

www.input-inc.com

hence the robot is complex!

ok, so how would I start to get DBp to talk to the outside?

if you have done before, what hardware are you using? I`m thinking of an oopic?
or a network of servo controllers?
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2008 20:41 Edited at: 11th Nov 2008 20:50
Edit: darn, seems CR's site is no longer online. I'll try searching around more.

Cattlerustler did a plugin for DPB to allow communication via the serial port. It was written in VB.net so you would need the to also download the .NET framework 2.0. Worth looking at.Here is a link to the thread
=======

Found this code snippet, but can't test it out becuase I don't have a com port on my laptop. Don't know who wrote it, and the thread I found it in didn't know either.

"When I look at that square... I wish FPSC noobs would stay on their side of the forums and stop polluting these boards." - Benjamin
simonuk74
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for that

I`ll take a look tomorrow and have a play!

Simon
wildbill
Years of Service
User Offline
I use the activeX/com commands in the Styx plugin to talk to various controllers purchased from this site www.awce.com.

The GP3 is really a good buy at $40 USD. You should check it out
simonuk74
Years of Service
User Offline
cool thanks

I`ll take a look soon and may make a purchase, tho now I`m lookign at using an oopic?

Thanks all

Simon

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 22:24:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 22:24:32