Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A few questions before Buying!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 15:23
Hello,

I'v a few questions to ask before i buy DarkBasic.
Here goes:

1. Should i also buy the DarkMatter Bundle? (From amazon £24.98)

2. Should i also buy the Beginners Guide to DarkBasic Game Programming?

3. I need explaining to how a 3d world is created eg. The game 1nsane by codemasters has an open world to drive around in. How would this be created in DarkBasic (would you use a program like a map/level editor?)

Thats all!

Thanks }:>
Dark Editor
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, if your not good at 3d modeling, then I would suggest Dark Matter if you have the cash. I think the begginners manual is overpriced in my opinion, haven't seen it yet. And a 3d world is created starting out with a matrix which is a simple landscape without objects (you can either do the code or use a matrix editor such as matedit) and then you must place objects using code or a world editor. This may sound like a lot, but it becomes simple after a few weeks of coding in DB. enjoy
mason

[href]htttp://www.geocities.com/teammiy

When you get stuck with dark basic, look at the poster of Brittany Spears on your wall, it helps, trust me...
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2003 16:34
1..if you buy DB classic then yes, buy Darkmatter, but if you intend to buy Pro then (IMO) Darkmatter isn`t worth the money just for the models, it`s only worth the cash if you want to upgrade classic with some more features like memblocks and multiplayer.

2..yes, the manual has one "not very good" tutorial, and is realy for reference more than explaining the commands, so if you don`t have any experience of programming in basic then buy the book.

3..you could do it with a map level editor, or you could code the game to make your levels intelligently from a set of rules, you could also hardcode the levels with load/position object commands, but thats too much work for no advantage, so either use a editor or the BSP maps in pro, or get your program to create levels for you

hope that some help, plenty of others will have ideas, cheers.

Mentor.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 17:50:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 17:50:32