Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [WIP] Go Board Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 23:09
First things first: this is not playable yet. This is just a demonstration of the layout for the game and I'm interested on getting feedback on how well it runs on other peoples hardware.

As of now, it just randomly throws on a number of tokens on the board and allows you to use the arrowkeys to rotate. The FPS is the first number in the upper left.

Thanks to anyone who tests this in advance.

"They say beer will make me dumb / It are go good with pizza" - Psychostick

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2008 23:56 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2008 23:56
You need to post a screenshot, but it sounds interesting.

Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 00:27
As requested a screenshot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7336529@N04/3053650583/

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 04:46
Looks nice!

It's going to be difficult writing a Go Engine to play at even a beginner level. What are your plans in that area?

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 11:46
Nah not hard at all. Maybe a little time consuming, but really it boils down to checking each cell and its neighbors. In a lot of ways this is easier than my example of the game of life and rippling water.

As for AI, that's something that would take time, but I already know of multiple algorithms for that

Thanks for your response.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 18:24
I was given to understand that coding AI for Go is significantly more difficult than coding AI for, say, chess. This is because with chess you have a set number of pieces on the board, which can only decrease once play begins, and thus a limited number of moves. With Go, though, a new piece is placed every turn, which exponentially increases the number of possible moves and thus the complexity of the AI necessary if you want your AI to play sensibly.

But, I've not actually tried this, and I'd be very pleased if you proved me wrong.

Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2008 18:43
First things first: 2 player hotseat. Looking at the different ai algos I have found, it does seem as though that will be a ways off, lol, but definetly doable . i have different algos for different difficulties, too nothing that you cant find in public domain I might add.

As far as the pieces are concerned, not in the demo, but in the current version I'm working on, every intersection has a token at all times. Each has three states: White, black, and off. Obviously off(invisible) by default. When switched from off to on, it becomes visible and a shadow is added. when a piece is captured it turns back to the off state and the shadow is turned off.

Thank you for the comments. I will update the demo tonight after work with a stress test including shadows and the objects system in place.

I have a fair system but i only get around 30-40fps(with shadows) and would be interested in seeing other peoples fps.

For those curious, my specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+
2G 3200 DDR Memory
512MB Ati HD2600 Pro

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2008 04:40
Quote: "...which exponentially increases the number of possible moves..."
Not true. Unless a group of stones are captured and make more open space on the board, the point is taken up and nothing can go on it anymore. It does make things more complex as relationships between the stones are formed. There are several reasons why Go is so difficult for computers. Instead of me blabbing on about them just go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Go and check it out.

I would have made a Go game "front end" a long time ago but DBPro's lack of threading has stopped me (for GTP to interface to other engines). Making a hotseat version is smart and makes an interesting, doable project. Looking forward to your progress.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2008 11:30
Thank you very much Tiresius. That had a lot of info that I hadn't read. I was kinda surprised to see that that particular setup uses a state system like mine.

It also inspired me to change a few things in my code which I think may speed it up... we'll see.

Thanks again

Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2008 17:05
Playable Demo!

Controls are left click to lay a white token and right click to place a black token.

Right now the game does not keep score or keep track of whose turn it is so that will remain up to the players for now. This is more of a proof of concept. If you capture a piece, it will automatically vanish.

I've pulled all my pretty textures for right now but will soon update with graphics and score keeping.

Give it a try and lemme know if you run into any bugs

Screenshot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7336529@N04/3061601550/

Attachments

Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2008 04:12
Another update:

The game is fully playable now. I ran into a number of bugs, but now seems to be running okay.

On starting the game, you can choose the number of turns to play as well as the capture limit.

My score system isn't identical to most variations of this game but it is close. One noticeable difference is the fact that you can lay tokens inside a captured area. This, however, does not affect the capture score. I also still need to implement a handicap and komi system.

As I'm sure you'll see upon startup, I need a massive graphics overhaul, but other than that, I am pleased with the results.

So grab a friend and try a game. Lemme know if you find any gremlins, lol.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:34:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:34:11