Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Will Dark Basic be the right software for us

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
My son is the gamer and game developer hopeful. He currently has old games on his pc that he will remove the images, change them and update his own. That is getting old.

He has been asking for and looking for a game creator software. He is 11 but has incredible computer abilities. He is looking also for a game creator software that he can create his own characters for and use in the game he makes.

Can this software do this? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you.
-K
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2008 10:11
DBPro is certainly one good way to do this.

The language itself is fairly easy to learn and is capable of doing some quite powerful things.

The help files aren't great, but are slowly improving. However, the forums are for the most part a good way to get the information and help needed. There are quite a few user-written tutorials that can be used to get things started right at the top of this forum - they have been vetted quite closely to ensure that they are of a reasonable quality.

There's a trial download for DBPro available - maybe you'd like to try before you buy, and see if this language is what you and your son are expecting.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2008 15:39
I would second what Ian says.

You would also need other software for creating characters, or download cheap/free ones as an alternative. trueSpace and Blender are free, professional tools for making 3D models. It's worth pointing out that although most of us here program and make our own models, in the professional world these are two distinct roles.

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2008 23:54
Quote: "trueSpace and Blender are free, professional tools for making 3D models."

I would not recommend Blender for an 11-year old, since it's got a rather steep learning curve. Look into either Wings 3D or Milkshape 3D to get him started.

I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, like they should be.
Game Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea. Starting with DarkBASIC is a good idea for someone that young because it is simple and easy to learn. Plus it has awesome 3d Abilitys and 2d Abilitys. I would recomend using a seperate program for making models and stuff though. But there are plenty like the ones they mentioned. Plus there is one called Anim8or and there is a Freeware Version of 3d Canvas. There is also the Realm Crafter which is like a RPG maker but I'm not going to discuss it because the forum is about DarkBASIC. But I think you should try the FREE download and if you like it go ahead and buy it. Hope he have a good time making games if you choose to buy DarkBASIC for your son.

Dana na na na Game Guy!
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2008 20:10 Edited at: 27th Nov 2008 20:11
I think you would get the most value by buying DarkGame Studio

"When I look at that square... I wish FPSC noobs would stay on their side of the forums and stop polluting these boards." - Benjamin
Ed222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2008 20:18
If you need a model animation tool you could try CharacterFX

pollywog
Years of Service
User Offline
another really good one for kids is called scratch.
it was developed by MIT and it is free (just search for it on the web)
might be a bit simple if he already has a strong computing background but it has pieces of code for if then statements loops etc. that snap together like leggos.
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2008 22:03
Don't forget, there is always a trial version available:
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=trial

happy bunny 41
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you all, these are some great answers and we followed up on the suggestions and are very excited about them. So, now we are switching gears to the fact that we will try the demos, see how our son likes them and then buy.

So, I would like to add on to my question and take a little bit of a jump in asking, what kind of computers to you all use for software such as DarkBasic pro. What would be the best computer, ghz, ram, memory etc.

I hope the moderators will allow this additional question, I know it is kind of off topic but I will stretch your tolerance by saying that we want to run the DarkBasic Pro free demo and want the best system to run it on for the optimum test try.

Thanks again!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2008 12:03
Quote: "What would be the best computer, ghz, ram, memory etc"

You will get many answers to this. green Gandalf on the forums creates incredible shaders (special effects) using a PC that should have been donated to a museum by now (I'm sure he won't mind me saying that ). Others insist you need the latest, greatest kit.

Bearing in mind you will at some point want to share your creations with others, you can't control what kit they will have. My vague advice would be that any multi-core processor with a reasonable graphics card and Windows 2000 or newer is more than enough.

The graphics card is probably most important, as it determines what features you can incorporate. Someone with a better grip on graphics cards will hopefully come along and advise.

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
@happy bunny 41,

Hah. Dear God, I wish my parents were like you.

Xsnip3rX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 03:46
Graphics Cards, i have an Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT Twin Turbo, 256MB memory on it, PCI-E X16, it runs DBP, and anything i can throw at it with surplus, my CPU, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (2.65Ghz), Memory: 3GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400), and a cheap little BIOSTAR TForce TF7050-M2 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7050PV HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard, that being said, i got it all on newegg.com for only $305.72

Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 21:20 Edited at: 30th Nov 2008 21:20
i have 2gb ram,128mb Nvidia over 200gb for hard drive. all i can say is i think as long as you arent createing the next WoW a 128mb graphic should be fine.

dbp runs prefect
Xsnip3rX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 23:38
WoW isn't even graphically intense though =\

wies gunter
Years of Service
User Offline
as already said, the language isn't that hard, i didn't have much problems learning it.
Virtual X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 11:22 Edited at: 7th Dec 2008 11:25
The key thing to remember is 'having fun', DB PRO is certainly a fun tool to mess around with, also easy to learn.

If your son has friends who are also interested in game development it won't be too difficult for them to learn either so they could start a 'team' to make it even more of a enjoyable experience.

At 11 years old this is the best time to start and I believe DB PRO will get your sons imagination flowing.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 21:40 Edited at: 7th Dec 2008 22:06
Quote: "Look into either Wings 3D or Milkshape 3D to get him started."

Yes, I also recommend Milkshape 3D, as well as FragMOTION for anyone wanting an affordable way to enter into 3d modeling.

You may find that programming his own game from scratch can be rewarding but also difficult and challenging.
However, for an eleven year old you may want to start with something a bit less programming intense than DarkBASIC Professional.

FPS Creator is another product offered by The Game Creators.
Don't let the name fool you, now its scripting language has evolved and it is not just for shooter games anymore.
The scripting langauge used in FPS Creator is far less advanced than DBPro, but it is easier for an eleven year old to learn.

If he wants to have fun making his own games, then he will love FPS Creator.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 21:43
Quote: "However, for an eleven year old you may want to start with something a bit less programming intense than DarkBASIC Professional."

I wouldn't be so sure about that, you'd be surprised by the number of people around here that started programming at around 10 or 11. I'd say if the kid is fairly proficient with computers for his age he'll have very little trouble getting the hang of DBP.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 21:50 Edited at: 7th Dec 2008 22:17
Yeah I started programming at age 12 myself back in the early 80's, but the basic language I used did not include the complxities of 3d.
This language is easy to learn, and maybe he won't have any problems at age 11.
However, unless he has a programming bug, I doubt he will stick with it.
Something less technical that offers faster results may be a better way to start for some people.

It doesn't hurt to try FPSC, and then move into the realms of programming with DBPro when he wants to.
Maybe that will be right away, and thats okay.
I got both FPSC and DarkBASIC Professional because they are both awesome and very affordable.
It depends on the games he wants to build I guess, but FPSC is the way to develop a 3D game fast and easy for any age or experience level.

After all, he did say...
"Do you have any other suggestions?"

Post Script
FPS Creator was written using DarkBASIC Professional, and the source code for the engine is available from TGC.
So, if he does end up moving into DBPro, then he can even modify FPSC itself, and not just the games it creates.
I think that getting both products would be the best bet, and cover all your bases.
That way, he can get starting making his own custom 3D games right away with the ability to build on that as his skills develop.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 02:12
Personally, for easy game creation, I'd go for GameMaker by YoYo Games. I have that (and created some good stuff with it) and it's a lot easier than DBP for making games but doesn't have the power or the ability to make 3D stuff.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 03:27
Quote: ", for easy game creation, I'd go for GameMaker by YoYo Games."

Nickydude recommending a product outside TheGameCreators for making games??!?!?!

Get a rope.

Ed222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 20:28
If you want 2d I'd try Playbasic

Encrypto Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2008 18:03 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2008 18:05
actually game maker is a very easy and good 2D game creation system.
i have been programming since i was around 8. i actually started with qbasic. i have both fps creator and dark basic pro. i used fps creator to get the concepts of 3D and fps, then when i wanted more power i switched to dark basic.(btw fps creator was made with dark basic) i would definitely encourage him to start a team because doing everything for a decent game is a grueling task.

also i would recommend gimp for textures and milkshape for 3D models.

awsumman4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 01:34
i think you sould DarkBASICPro for him i'm 12 and use it i think he would love if likes video games here is a simple animation code:
print "s"
wait 500
print "t"
wait 500
print "a"
wait 500
print "r"
wait 500
print "t"
wait key
cls
wait key