Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Best way to make the world for a TBS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2008 15:58
Any suggestions on how to do the over world on a simple Final Fantasy 1 based Turn Based game? I was thinking of making it one big model so all you had to do was hide it and a few other things when you go to battle or enter a town. Is there a better way or am I on the right path.

If you get mad and want to type something nasty about another person do this-Type what you want to say in the box then press ctrl-a and hit delete then type what you should say.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2008 16:57
2d tilebase maps

"When I look at that square... I wish FPSC noobs would stay on their side of the forums and stop polluting these boards." - Benjamin
May0naise
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 03:06
I know this may be a noob question, but are there types of programs used to make 2d tilebase maps?

Be patient....everything takes time.
May0naise
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2008 13:50 Edited at: 30th Nov 2008 13:51
Sorry for double post..still not use to appoval system

EDIT:http://opensword.org/Reptile/

This program isnt that bad if you get good tilesets, but i think you might need a converter to make it compatible with DBpro

Be patient....everything takes time.
Destrugter 1
Years of Service
User Offline
While working on my 2D RPG, I ventured out to make a simple Tile Editor. If you guys want, you are free to use this, it has the source and everything so you can change it as needed.

It comes with Save, Load, Clear, and Fill buttons, to make it much easier. I have added 9 layers, so that you can overlap sprites. I think 9 layers is a bit too much, but I always prepare for the worst, and to switch between layers, simply press any of the numbers from 1-9. The layers are in numerical order, so layer 2 sprites overlap layer 1 etc.

It's very simple to use, basically put all of the images you want to use in the "Images" directory, and save the terrain when you are finished. This will save all of the data to a file (which you will see instead of using integers I implemented the filename without the filetype). After that it is only a matter of loading and applying to your game (which you can use the method I used in the Tile Editor). You can use anything made in the Tile Editor, in any programming language that can read files, assuming you know how to read the files correctly and such.

This does not have to be used on 2D RPG's, I think, it can be used to make almost any kind of 2D map you want. One of the downsides is while programming this, I use a dimmension of 32x32 for my tiles, so I programmed it to only fit enough 32x32 files across and down.

Another downside is, right now you can only have 105 images in the Tile Editor at one time. I have not found time to program a "Page" button (or to that effect), especially considering my game only utilizes about 8 Images right now due to lack of artistic abilities.

I'll get to work on the page button, and I'll update you guys when I have finished.

Download is attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 22:34:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 22:34:30