Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Will Dark Basic be the right software - Part Duex

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
For a while I have been looking for mapping software to create role playing maps and those I have found have a steep learning curve, and they always fell short of something I needed them to do.

I have read the following post and found it informative, if not a little jealous of the youngster. Anyway, I am a programmer; .Net and MSAccess VB, so coding is not foreign to me and I am aware my programming talents are not 3D related anyway, so I do expect a learning curve.

So with that said, this is what I need to be able to do...

Create an underground catacomb type environment with floors, walls and ceiling/roof using a first person view, that will move from Point A to Point B, under varying light levels from, I cannot see the hand in front of my face to sun levels and if possible to include a simulated night vision and/or heat patterning for all LOS objects.

So if DB can do what I need, how difficult would it be for me to use DB and teach myself?
Devil_d0g
Years of Service
User Offline
Of course DarkBASIC can handle all of this. Of course. DarkBASIC dosen't create models, which sounds like your going for as far as "catacombs" type. It depends on your knowledge of the BASIC language how difficult this is going to be for you. Lucky your you there are many references, and many tutorials on this subject. Take a look at some of the projects that have been completed, how they use different lighting features. and such. Good luck!

Learn to program , and make games using your favorite engines! www.gm-help.net (Audio/Visual Learning)
D2Beetle
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, if all I have to do is write BASIC arrays that parse 100 MB data files, it would be a pie of cake; however I do think that is the case...

Anyway I have downloaded the 30 trial version, so which tutorial(s) should I start with?
Xsnip3rX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 17:37
http://www.d-grafix.com/?page=ted

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 22:28:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-27 22:28:31