Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Do you want to play a game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 04:37 Edited at: 8th Dec 2008 01:04
This is my first effort useing DBPro. The program is the end result of a tutorial on text game programming found in the 'new to DBPro corner'. Also it is a remake of Infocom's Zork, so even if it were a great game it wouldn't go any further than an exercise.

So, give it a shot, guys. I'll take all remarks, good or bad without comment, but with thanks.

The Fangman

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 17:08
A screenshot would be a start. I might test it later.. don't have time atm.

Fangs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2008 19:27
bump

The Fangman
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2008 19:56
Rather than wasting our time with a useless bump, why don't you follow Mr Kohlenstoff's advice and give us a screenshot.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2008 20:42
Quote: "Rather than wasting our time with a useless bump, why don't you follow Mr Kohlenstoff's advice and give us a screenshot. "

I was about to say that.

Describe more about it and give us a few screenies please.

http://bergice.blogspot.com/ << Please enter my blog and click ads
Demos,Examples,Tutorials,Portfolio
pluto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 00:19 Edited at: 7th Dec 2008 04:50
Why all the fuss over a screenshot?

It's a TEXT game. Do you really need a screenshot of a text game? It's text, just like the game ZORK. Please take a few minutes of your time and play his game and give some feedback.

Here are two screenshots. Hope you guys will show a little more support. Fangs is new here and instead of encouragement all he gets is a hard time. Its sad really, folks have been less than friendly here.

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 15:42

I beat bigfoot! (nah, really just evaded).

What can I say, it's a text adventure. Albeit short, it's a start and maybe some sweet background music would set the deal.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2008 16:34
Well, "bump" is not really what posts are meant for. Apart from that I don't like downloading and running exe-files without really knowing what to expect. I mean, a screenshot is kind of a prove that it actually is the game it's supposed to be - not that I'd blame Fangs or anybody else here for uploading damaging software, but experience proved that you can never be sure enough.
And even if it's a textbased game, I'd still like to see screenshots (probably because I like screenshots so much). Apart from that "less than friendly" seems a bit unfair.
By the way: There are no two screenshots, at least I don't see them.
Oh and just in case my post sounds somewhat unkind: No offense... just defense. But that's enough off-topic now.

Fangs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 01:20 Edited at: 8th Dec 2008 01:26
@Grandma
DZ was nothing more than a learning exercise, partly to get familiar with DBPro and partly to get back into programming.

Now, for the rest of you, (if I do it right) here are some screen shots.

Well I tried...Clicked 'image' and entered the URL for the pictures and the result was the little box with the x in the center.

Pluto tried attaching screen shots last night and came up with the same thing.

If you want to see the shots here is the URL...

http://s425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/Fangmans/

The Fangman
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 01:42 Edited at: 8th Dec 2008 01:42
hmm.

<scratches head>

Virtual Nomad . California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2008 20:51
So, I finally tested it. Quite cool, I actually did not expect such a rather complex game while it's your first project. However, I found it a bit unfair to be killed by a bigfoot immediately after starting the game without even knowing what to do. I found out that the idea to attack it was not that good.. So all in all it seems to be a 'good start' and it finally brought back my motivation to write a text-adventure.

Fangs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 00:47
@ Virtual Nomad

I haven't had a chance to check your find out yet. It has to be in the examine routine. I'm interested to find out how the fairy got crossed up with the garlic!

@ Mr Kohlenstoff

It helps that I played "Hunt the Wumpus", "Colosal Cave", and the original "Zork". While "DZ" was my first programming effort with a DarkBasic product, I am not new to programming. I've worked with basic, c, and c++, although I never had to make a living with programming.

The toughest thing about writing a text adventure is the input routines. It takes a bit for the program to understand "put apple in sack" or "take apple from sack". For that I give full credit to Pluto who wrote the 'parse and parser routines for DZ. Without these the game wouldn't have worked. Pluto also gave me a lot of help along the way.

You might want to take a look at Pluto's text adventure tutorial in the DBPro newcomers corner.

Thank you all for the feedback!

The Fangman
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 07:56
It seemed pretty good from what I saw. One thing you can add perhaps is a list of possible commands (unless I missed it). Because I tried "look at" which is usually a substitute for "examine" in most text games but it wasn't there. Other places I wasn't sure what to do.

There's a text-based game competition here, seems once a year. You should work on this some more and maybe you can enter something in it.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:24:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:24:36