Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / GlowWorm ignored?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 21:06 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 19:44
old thread(for info and screenshots, download, everything): http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=140564&b=8

ignore this thread

CAN THIS PLEASE BE LOCKED?

SMAAD presents GOD (Glory Of Dementia).. wierd music... and games... GLOWWORM BETA DEMO AVAILABLE, PLEASE REVIEW AND GIVE FEEDBACK: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=140564&b=8
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 22:43 Edited at: 9th Dec 2008 22:43
I tried it quite a while ago, sorry that i didnt post about it.

Also, i dont think that you should post a new thread to ask why it was ignored. A good way on getting people on your thread is post some new screenshots, info, videos or demos in a new post on the thread (so it bumps it back up and you dont get flamed for it!).

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2008 23:57
My FPS zombie game demo which I spent 6 months of my life on was pretty much ignored, but you don't see me making threads about it.

If people didn't comment, then you probably didn't interest them enough. Like kaedroho said, post something new or improved. I think a video of gameplay is the best way to get people to download, especially when your screenshots don't or can't convey very much.
Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry about that

when i first posted, i edited my first post and it disappeared for verification. I thought people came to the thread to find no first post and so the thread was forgot about, and when i posted in the thread it didnt bump it up, so i assumed it had died. Im getting response on that thread now! So if this thread can be locked or deleted or whatnot, thatd be cool.

Many thanks!

SMAAD presents GOD (Glory Of Dementia).. wierd music... and games... GLOWWORM BETA DEMO AVAILABLE, PLEASE REVIEW AND GIVE FEEDBACK: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=140564&b=8
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2008 18:42
My first FPS game didnt go so well at start, http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=125048&b=8, But i kept working on it and now im getting some really good feedback and lots of downloads.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2008 20:50
Dude, thats's just how it is, my latest project got about 7 posts. People don't really care about cuter/mini games. You want attention start making an MMO or RPG that you'll never finish.

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
I DID notice how most attention goes to a bunch of scenery stuck together with a light in the middle and being called a "beta demo", its been that way on here for years... yet here i am with a near-complete game, and noones interested.. is this a game dev site, or a "pretty scenery screenshot" site? hehe. Hopefully things come around eventually...

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2008 23:25
Quote: "I DID notice how most attention goes to a bunch of scenery stuck together with a light in the middle and being called a "beta demo", its been that way on here for years... yet here i am with a near-complete game, and noones interested.. is this a game dev site, or a "pretty scenery screenshot" site? hehe. Hopefully things come around eventually...
"

I'd say go check out the more serious projects around here. There are some amazing stuff. And those stuff also gets tons of replies.

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2008 23:48
Life sucks, sadly.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 00:10
To put it bluntly... your game looked like a few bloomed tubes running into bloomed spheres. Sure the game might have been fun, but it didnt look fun, and thats why people didn't test / comment on it. Thats how it always has been and always will be. If you wanted it to be taken more seriously some work on a menu system and a video would have helped.

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
hehe, i second tha-rami's notion ill just be happy with a finished game, rather than a bunch of unfinished stuff, its got plenty of response now anyways since i started this thread, so it actually worked to moan about it, hehe

Sushi01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 01:16
I think your game looks good, if everyone thought like you, we'd have lots more finished stuff, a lot of people are too ambitious, they like the idea of doing things, but dont have the drive and the dedication to finish them.
Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 01:21 Edited at: 14th Nov 2014 22:10
Wow, thanks! Anyone got any ideas for power-ups or game modes for it? Will 4 player online be worth it? if so, what dll or whatnot will i need?

the game IS finished, im just sprucing it up

sup
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 06:46 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 07:08
I liked the game, and although it would be nice to see you add some fun backgrounds and such, it's still a complete game.

Edit: Nevermind the controls make sense when I changed the viewing angle to more First person
The one thing I had a hard time getting used to was the controls. Perhaps I will adapt to them after more play. For me it's more intuitive if right-arrow moves my line right, left-moves it left, etc... rather than the turning you have implemented. I killed myself more than a few times messing up my turns.

Some power ups I would add would be

a power-up..
-That lets you cross your own trail without dieing
-That lets you cross color x trail without dieing
-That forced you to change colors with another player
-That gives a speed boost
-That gives you a longer jump time
-Drop segments of your trail that would remain in place longer

(bad power-ups or powerdowns)
- No jumping ability for time x
- Turn controls revers ie(left goes right - right goes left)
- Any player gets bonus if they kill you in time x (makes all palyers target you)

Good job by the way. I'll try to play more and give you some more feedback.

~Zenassem
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 15:40
Quote: "Dude, thats's just how it is, my latest project got about 7 posts. People don't really care about cuter/mini games. You want attention start making an MMO or RPG that you'll never finish."

I have to agree with this statement, just look at how Vision and Marvin the Magician turned out: very popular, but a failure in the end.

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 17:33 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 17:51
Thanks for the feedback
The final version will have a released date shortly, but online play will be a future add-on.

Thanks for the power-up feedback! Reason i had controls like that was to reduce number of buttons for each player. It is currently a 4-button game to control your character which means 4 players on the keyboard and joysticks is possible... for the sake of players who have the same liking as you, ill try add a 6 button option

Just to clarify though, i AM working on larger projects, i just havent decided to put them to a WIP thread until a DEMO is available to play!, by demo, i mean a playable demo, not a graphical play around...

Plus i will NOT release a demo of these, even if ready until GlowWorm reaches completion this assures i dont cancel or cut any unfinished projects x

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 17:50 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 17:55

GlowWorm currently features:

4 Worms battling it out in an arena!
6 playable colours! + 6 unlockable worms for each colour
24 Challenges, single player or co-op, with medals awarded for completion, time and completion without dying, meaning a total of 72 medals to collect!
Customizable properties like worm length and team!
QuickMatch for a free play against bots or friends!

GlowWorm, will shortly feature:

4 Players, with customizable controls.
Soundtrack, by me, sean and anyone else who would like too?
Power-ups and Mods
Custom Match, for a more advanced and customized match (with mods, power-ups e.t.c)
Quick match will be classic, no power-up style
Lastly, more unlockables, and difficulty tweaks in the challenges! Oh, and graphical options (like resolution) for lower end computers High resolution is really pretty though...
tweakz

FULL DEMO(low media, no music, alot of stuff cut): 1ST JANUARY

FINAL BUILD(everything fully implemented): 9th January

have fun trying the beta x

oh, and just for fun, make sure to KEEP your save data on the final build a 100% complete save data file will unlock special features in other future projects i do x

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 18:02
I've found that the number of views is directly proportional to how interesting the title. The number of posts is how interesting the screenies look

[b]Yuor signutare was aresed by a deslyxic mud...
BOX2D V2 HAS HELP FILES! AND A WIKI!
Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 18:08 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 18:11
yea, but i could easily throw a load of free media in a scene, throw some effects on it, put in a gun and say "my first person shooter beta demo... even though you are alone and have nothing to do but shoot grass"... Then when someone has a full game its, "pfft, that looks crap! That first person shooters much better!" hehe... the world relies on graphics these days so much, noone notices that theres never gameplay until you play it and its choppy and not much fun :p, and the project never reaches fruition... id rather play a cylinder and ball FPS anyday, as long as the engine and gameplays done

I might give the worms machine guns and make them bleed and swear, and call it Worm War Death Hell Blood... maybe get more views I personally suggest that a WIP should be set only if a playable demo with a beginning, middle and end, is available (a player, enemies, a level completion)... least you know its going somewhere :p

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 19:06
Urg, like 99% of things in life... no matter how good something is, unless it's presented well no one will want to spend time investigating it.

The OP for your main WIP topic is badly presented, this alone would deter many people. You have a link to a download, a screenshot you haven't embedded in your post and some random text, the only time you show screenshots is on the 4th post, why not just edit the OP and have them there?

Secondly, the structure of your OP is bad, it's just a download followed by a wall of text. Ideally you'd explain what it is before giving the download link, I'm not downloading something called 'Glowworm' if I have no clue what it is. This doesn't go for every thread, but you should separate the post into several main headings(i.e. preface, description, screenshots/videos, download etc). This allows people to see you put time into presenting the thread and they can easily navigate to areas of information they want to read.

Thirdly, your attitude toward other's games sucks. Why are you insulting so many games? For example:

1) You say: "I DID notice how most attention goes to a bunch of scenery stuck together with a light in the middle and being called a "beta demo", its been that way on here for years... yet here i am with a near-complete game, and noones interested.. is this a game dev site, or a "pretty scenery screenshot" site?"
2) You yet again insult other's games: "ill just be happy with a finished game, rather than a bunch of unfinished stuff"
3) Yet again: "by demo, i mean a playable demo, not a graphical play around..."
4) Ditto: "yea, but i could easily throw a load of free media in a scene, throw some effects on it, put in a gun and say "my first person shooter beta demo... even though you are alone and have nothing to do but shoot grass"... Then when someone has a full game its, "pfft, that looks crap! That first person shooters much better!" hehe... the world relies on graphics these days so much, noone notices that theres never gameplay until you play it and its choppy and not much fun :p, and the project never reaches fruition... id rather play a cylinder and ball FPS anyday, as long as the engine and gameplays done"

I don't think genre of the game matters at all, the last 3 games(I think) I made threads for on this forum were never FPS games, yet they got at least to the 2nd page. This is because(I hope) I made an effort to pitch the idea of the game with a neatly laid out thread, whenever I added new things I made screenshots or a video for it and added it to the OP; this means anyone who's viewing the thread for the first time has a lot of information at hand without having to dig through the thread.

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2008 19:34 Edited at: 11th Dec 2008 19:53
If you say so but i wasnt poking fun at anyone elses games, i havent even viewed them, just the impression ive got off these forums from what others have said to me... sorry if i offended you, and yes it was stupid of me to act like i knew something based off what others said...

plus i asked for this thread to be locked, but everyone now discusses glowworm here instead of the glowworm thread and its a lil irritating

Also probably the frustration of nearly finishing something and noone cares...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 04:22:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 04:22:28