Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Problem with 3D Objects Tutorial (Tutorial #2)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am clearly having a problem with the dbLoadObject() function. Whenever I go to debug this short piece of code from tutorial #2, the output window loads up a black screen and then stops responding.

Whenever I comment out dbLoadObject, this script works fine. As in, it loads a blank screen, but that screen is still responsive to the escape key, whereas with this function compiled, it freezes the output window.

I have recently installed Visual C++ Express Edition and Dark GDK. I successfully installed Microsoft Windows SDK v6.1.

I am running Windows Vista 32 bit SP1, with AMD Athlon x63 Dual Core 4800+ 2.5 GHz, with 2 GB of RAM. Im currently using an Nforce mobo with onboard GeForce graphics card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 09:43
Verify the file is where you think.. and that dbpro is seeing it. I THINK there is a fixe exist function in DBPRO.. use that first to be sure its where you think then call the loadobject.

Even the stock tutorials can have bugs... That model I've loaded before so I know first hand it is decent.

--Jason

sificvoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 21:09 Edited at: 14th Dec 2008 22:03
Thanks for the response Jason.

Well, I tried setting up a new project and got much of the same result. If the .x file is sposed to be in the folder with main.cpp, then it is in the right place.

Now, it appears to do the same thing still but with some randomness. Sometimes the screen turns pink. Or if successfully running, the screen will flicker brown and pink?

Yeah I really wish I knew someoene that knew anything about this software coz I am completely clueless
sificvoid
Years of Service
User Offline
I got the Complier to output some additional information on DirectX just by running the sample tutorial provided for this tutorial.

Here is main.cpp

and here is the debug info

I have been working steadily for 3 days now trying to resolve this problem. Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 02:15
I saw threads elsewhere that vista was peculiar and something about setting compatibility mode to windows ME or something. Give that a go.. Pretty recent threads too.. should be in first page of the DarkGDK "topics".

and you're welcome... I hate when people don't post "something"... even when they don't know the answer.. sometimes the smallest "idea" can send you on a trek towards the solution....

Did you do the if (dbFileExist('colonel etc')){ dbPrint("Yeah"); }; test? Just to be sure its where you think it is? See.. same directory as main.cpp should be pretty darn correct but... current directory might not be what we think.. plus depdning how you run the exe.. if could be in a sub folder debug or release.. from in the IDE this is ok because the IDE makes the main project folder the current directory... while running an EXE from in the debug directory for example via the file explorer makes that the current directory... giving you one result in ide and another "live" unless you copy the EXE up to the project folder... and then run the exe from explorer etc.

3 days? hope you get this soon... I've been fighting a quaternion issue for a week or more now off and on in straight C++ and directx.. so.. if you're a math genius.. ring me back LOL. Come to think of it.. that might be a job for calcyman.. one thing he knows is math for sure.

--Jason

sonachan
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I've got this problem as well.

Tried compatibility mode set to XP SP2 and run as administrator but still the same.

Anybody know what's causing it?

Andy
Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2008 04:38
I just tried it, worked for me; albeit took like 3 min to load.

I'm using Vista 32 Home Pro, Core2 Duo T7100 1.8Ghz, NVidia 8700M GT, 2GB RAM.
sificvoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive been doin a bit of research on this and there is alot of noise about DirectX 9.0c not working on Windows Vista.

@Pillarofire, thats the same OS I have, are you running DirectX 9.0c on there?
bosco_yu
Years of Service
User Offline
Works, but takes some time to load model. I have Vista Ultimate and it takes about 30 sec. up to minute to load model. Meanwhile window is frozen and not responding.
sificvoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I just tried it, worked for me; albeit took like 3 min to load.

I'm using Vista 32 Home Pro, Core2 Duo T7100 1.8Ghz, NVidia 8700M GT, 2GB RAM. "

lol, definition of noob (me) = someone who doesnt wait for his system to load the object and then frets over miscellaneous D3D9 output.

Dont worry, I catch on quick lmao
Cronius Draks
Years of Service
User Offline
I had this problem when I first started dbpro a long time ago (a little over a week ago. 8P)

turned out something was goofy with the model I had made in blender. I finally got it to work by remaking the model from scratch and exporting to .x again. then everything worked fine.

I have never seen it flicker pink though.

I am using Vista.

(dont know if this is related but did you set dbpro to run with administrator privileges)

Wandering the digital world in search of knowledge for 22 years... you would think I might have found something useful by now.
Pillarofire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2008 04:20
Heres what 'dxdiag.exe' says. Though I'm compiling with August 2007 SDK. Don't know if that makes a difference.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/17/2008, 12:16:58
Machine name: *********
Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite X205
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 1383MB used, 4958MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-27 22:30:26