Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Object loading

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 16:17
I have been editing objects in the program AC3D and have made a couple of objects which I have exported as .3ds.

I will admit that their poli count must be fairly high and I have added textures. However when I give DBP the command to load the two object, it takes a huge amount of time. I waited three minuits for the two objects to load and they still did not apear. The task manager said that the computer was working at 100%. I waited another minuit and then exited the program.

My question is, why does it take so long? What have I done wrong?

Although, as I say, I'm sure that as a novice user, I have been uneconomical with my poligons, I find it incredible that it can take so long to load. What if I wanted to make a first person shooter with tens if not hundreds of objects?

To help you might need my computers stats. Here are the ones I think re relivent but if you need to know anything else, just ask.
2.16Ghz
512MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600XT Graphics Card

Any help with how I can make these objects load quicker would be much apreciated.
BlobVanDam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2008 16:22
I don't think 3DS is very well supported in DBPro. I wasn't sure if they even worked at all anymore. But I do know that they used to load a lot slower than .x or .dbo formats.
Try exporting them into .x format (you may need a plugin).
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 08:51
Thanks that does speed up the loading. After I posted, I got one to work in .3ds and it rendered all wrong. However .x works greats. Thanks again.
Not_Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2008 10:06
I know this is old, but just use this and put the .3ds file or .x file with the exe and it will turn it to a .dbo, faster than both.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 00:22:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 00:22:11