Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / [LOCKED] Game Auto-Updater

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
My game is a client/server application and it is critical that each client has the latest version of the client so that it properly communicates with the server. I want to create a way to update the game via the game.

I am fairly sure that you can't replace the exe while it is running, so my game plan is for the client to check for a new version. If it finds it, it runs a seperate program, Updater.exe, and then the client closes itself. The updater waits for the client to close, then downloads the patched version and installs it.

So what I need is a way for the client to run the Updater.exe, and a way for the Updater.exe to know when the Client has terminated. I found the following commands:

Using this, I can execute the updater, but I still have no way for the updater to know when the client closed. EXECUTABLE RUNNING looked promising, but you need a handle which the updater won't have. I think it will take some DLL calls to accomplish this, but I am lost when it comes to external DLL calls.

Any suggestions?
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2008 17:04
i suggest you post in the Normal DBP board

I was here.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 00:21:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 00:21:31